DS is going into first grade next fall at a school that has a blended age learning environment. Since he's reading at a fourth/fifth grade level, we know he will be with the older kids for that. But as far as math, he has "holes" in his knowledge in anything above first grade level. From what I can determine through looking at IXL grade level expectations, he's got a foothold on second grade with a few gaps and about half of third grade. Currently, he's learning his multiplication tables by memory.

So, over the summer, we are considering placing him in Sylvan in math to assess the areas in which he's lacking so he can more easily fit into a grade for math this coming year. It's my hope that when he's given the beginning assessment in the fall, the results will place him solidly in either second grade math or third...with no missing knowledge on his part.

If you've used Sylvan, how did they react to teaching an advanced child? Were they okay with acceleration? I'm wondering if they will refuse because they'll think I'm pushing him.