Originally Posted by Michaela
Sooo... the principle wouldn't take our letter requesting the process to begin, refused to look at the cognitive section, and declared that she only had so many aids, and she couldn't give him one (I didn't ask for that, or say anything at all of the kind).

Sounds like a combination of budget stress, ill-informed, and having been pressed before.

Remind me where you stand: is this the first IEP, and has your child already been evaluated through the school district?

Originally Posted by Michaela
ASD advocate last week, and she's pretty darned awesome. We've looked things up again, and now know exactly what to add to our request letter to make it plain as day that we want an ENTRY to school plan.

Sounds good. I'm glad you have help.

When you get to writing the IEP, the Profile section will be really important. That description drives the rest of it. You'll want to put in the data you have (in summary form), as well as the relevant facts. For example, your account of how the anxiety presents (that it is often mistaken for or reported as illness) belongs in the Profile. You want someone to read this profile and have it be clear what the child is like, what the strengths and weaknesses are, and why an IEP is needed.

When writing goals, make sure that they are specific, and designed so it is possible to take data on each one, and the data obtained will be relevant.

HTH,
DeeDee