but achild with no LDs might have a difficult time with an instruction to "summarize" if they are a child who remembers things in a very detailed way.

This.

My DD had a really awful time with "summarize" because even if you tried to gently explain that she needs to "leave out all but the most important details" then she'd claim, well-- but if it wasn't IMPORTANT, then it wouldn't have been part of the story.

LOL.

She still gets multiple layers of meaning out of more advanced literature, which is problematic since this is a higher order literacy skill than recall or simple analysis...

and wowie, do the lower level Bloom's questions lay her out sometimes. Multiple choice is the. worst. that way for kids like her.

"Choose the answer which best represents the passage's meaning:"

(Augh)

Because they can LEGITIMATELY argue that two, none, or all of the answers are equally correct; and be right about the logic. It's just that the level of questions is so far below my DD's reading level that they miss the mark completely.

We've also run into problems that I'd say are far more directly related to asynchrony there. My DD, by virtue of being a VERY young reader relative to her peers, has a different set of life experiences than her more typically developing peers. This can show up in some surprising ways when she assigns a completely idiosyncratic connotative meaning to something that was supposed to mean something specific to everyone. Well, not to her.

It's really opened my eyes to just HOW flawed multiple choice assessment actually is, and why it's profoundly toxic to use it to assess learning or achievement. I never realized how much they hurt outliers until I watched it in action.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.