I agree with everything said here. I am very very new to this board (It's my first post). And I can identify with both your DD and Mel056's DD. You are describing my DS6 (well, 6 yo in June). He is at the tail end of Kindergarten. There were TONS of behavior issues at school. Explosive personality/perfectionism/tears/meltdowns/frustration.

We had been seeing a Psychiatrist who recommended us see a child Psychologist. We had 2 sessions for DS to get used to him and then 2 sessions of testing. We were really prepared for what we thought would be the worst and our assumption (along with our pediatrician) that our DS had ADHD. We were wrong. The smile on our Psychologists face as he was so excited to read off our son's test results was GREAT!

It lead us down a different path and into the door of a non-profit in our area. They gave us the tools to push the school and work with the Principal as well as with his teacher. As well as how to properly handle his emotions and thought process. He is what they call "The Perfect Storm" (a tornado of emotion). Ultimately, we came to the conclusion in a meeting with the Principal that he was butting heads with his teacher/her personality/and lack of firm structure in class. He absolutely hated school which only increased his behavior. He was moved to a more seasoned K teacher and into a more quiet and structured classroom in January of this year. It is LEAPS AND BOUNDS from his last class and he is excelling and enjoying school again.

Our current struggle is having him tested at the school by the district Psychologist and gaining so sort of accomodations for his "way of learning". He is still being forced to conform to standard classroom assignments and taught based on the majority. They seem to think that his lack of attention means he couldn't possibly be able to learn accelerated curriculum. For now, since things are going really well I've left it alone. But I plan to push it for 1st Grade. Our district doesn't have any gifted programs until 3rd Grade. And really hesitates to pull children into an upper class periodically. frown

I hope my post was helpful in some way. If not, at least know that I understand exactly how you feel.