I don't think the NYC g/t program is equipped for eg/pg or 2e kids, personally. Or divergent, creative students. Most are aimed at mg/hg kids; there's very little for 2e kids.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to place a pg kid in NYC's g/t program. I think they can deal with a child who is maybe a grade or two above level, but when you start talking 4+ years above level across three or more subjects then the situation changes and becomes quite different.

By all means, you could always try out the public/private schools and see what happens. At the end of the day, you can always homeschool if things don't work out. I know a former neighbor who pulled her son from Anderson to homeschool and it's been working out well for them last I heard.

DS7 has been in two private gifted schools here in MA, but he didn't last long at either one and is now homeschooling. DS needed more accommodation and radical acceleration than these schools could provide. I don't think the situation is too dissimilar across the country. However, it can vary widely depending on the child, teacher, school, curriculum, other students, etc. There's a lot of variables and more with each deviation from the norm it seems.