Originally Posted by CFK
More universities are requiring/recommending 4 years of math. I would plan for that down the road, not just the minimum to get a highschool diploma.

I think those universities would waive the requirement once they saw that one of those years was Calculus, because obviously that means Algebra II was taken before high school.

The bummer here would be that this sets her up for Trig/Pre-Calc and Calculus (or Calc I and II, depending on how your school defines them) in high school, but she has to come up with another math class for high school credit. Some schools have a rigorous Statistics class that can provide that benefit, but mine sure didn't. Any alternative math classes outside the Calc track in my school were designed with the non-mathy, struggling student in mind. We had a class called "Business Math," which turned out to be a rehash of elementary-level stuff... fractions, decimals, percentages, etc. So, definitely look at your school's course catalog to see if they have anything worthy of your DD's attention for that final math requirement.

Another alternative that might be worth considering... give her a year off of math now, rather than later.

Or, when the time comes, send her to a nearby college to take a college-level Statistics class, and insist the high school give her credit.