Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by aquinas
As a polymath, it's easy to dismiss inaction on the grounds of great potential: "I could be X, Y, or Z... if only ." But really, true potential isn't founded on mentally masturbatory couterfactuals, it's based on some function of action and ability plus a random variable.

The random variable generally being some sort of mentorship, as well as being in the right place at the right time. Also 5 to 10 years of some sort of effort.

In any event, potential isn't a function of action, but success is a function of action.

I think that your point is that you only legitimately get to posit counterfactuals if you have actually tried actual action in an actual direction.

Generally yes! smile

I think my writing could have been clearer. I was speaking about potential but should have said "propensity to action" instead of "action" because the former colours future outcomes and is intrinsic to the individual.

My main point was that dreaming in counterfactuals is a largely useless activity. I have a general distaste for counterfactuals because they seldom have any basis in reality. I have some "would-be greats" in my extended family who are so caught up in their king/queen of the parallel universe status that they often forget to collect their welfare...

What is to give light must endure burning.