I am currently having a conversation with my son's school about accelerating him in all subjects while continuing to call him his grade by age. I'm wondering if there are any rules or laws surrounding the labeling of grade level.

This is actually more complicated than I am making it seem. My son is 10 years old and would be in 5th grade according to his age. He is currently placed in 6th grade at a private school (that runs from grades 6-12) where he is further accelerated in math (8th grade algebra). For most subjects, he is in a combined 6/7 class. I think it would be in his best interests to have him stay with this year's 7th graders next year. So he would end up being accelerated two whole grades with an additional year of acceleration in math.

But--and here is where it gets complicated--I would also like his official grade level (what he is called on school documents) to be his grade-by-age. So what this would mean is that next year, he would be called a 6th grader (for the second year in a row) who is taking 8th grade classes across the board (and 9th grade geometry).

My reasoning is that by doing this, he can keep his options open (I'm thinking mostly about dual enrollment options). It would just be a matter of paperwork to change his grade level up if need be. I've been told that he will receive high school credit for high school level courses taken in middle school.

Are there any potential pitfalls to this plan that I'm not seeing? Aside from it being weird, I mean.

Thanks!