My ds isn't in high school yet, but we did opt to put him in private school for middle school. The thing is - all schools are *so* very individual it's impossible to draw conclusions based on the experience of other people in other locations - you have to somehow get in and know the school. In our case, we had a few recommendations to go on (one from a person who knew and understood our ds well). You're thinking about all the same things we thought about, so my advice to you is to try to find out what you can about the schools you're considering from parents or private professionals you know and who's opinions you trust. Also know that you might hear some bias against private schools too.

For our ds, it's worked out great - much better than I'd ever have anticipated. He isn't at a school that is specifically for gifted students, but student's academic records and testing scores are considered during the admissions process. Many of the students attending the school are in fact relatively high IQ kids so he had peers he fit in with right away. He still stands out as being "the smart kid" in class but his teachers challenge him to "go deeper" and think deeper. The school doesn't have a huge homework load and when we've gone through a period where homework was causing stress (due to the amount of time required) the teachers stepped in right away and pulled back on the amount they required. It's a small school and my ds has benefited from being in with a small number of students during middle school - it's just more suited to his personality. I appreciate that the teachers at his school appreciate and listen to parent input - that wasn't our experience at the public school he previously attended.

We will most likely send ds to a private school for high school too... although we are going to let him be a part of the decision. The issue I have heard of with our public highly gifted program in high school is one you mentioned - the teachers equate high IQ with high ability to handle astonishingly high amounts of homework, and not necessarily deeper-thinking homework. We're hoping to find a situation where ds will be able to combine school classes with online or local college courses.

polarbear

ps - fwiw, I would try to not let the "gifted" label intimidate you when you look forward or necessarily change your plans for her - your dd is still the same dd you've been working with, and you know her well!

Last edited by polarbear; 01/03/13 11:31 AM.