In the 7th grade, DD(atthetime13) got Duke TIP Grand Recognition for her SAT score.

DD(now17) got back her junior PSAT results a few days ago, and was one question away from a perfect score (and she was rushing and misread the one that she missed- it was a VERY simple math question). I would think that perfect scores are not extremely uncommon, but a google search yielded that only 100 or so students get it a year, which makes me think that her score is probably in the upper 99th percentile, which would be considered "HG."

It took the school system until the end of the 5th grade to figure out that she was gifted, and while I now have no doubt that she is gifted, highly gifted seems like a bit of a stretch. She does what it takes to make decent grades, but not "amazing" grades. She really has no subject that she is amazingly skilled at, but instead is equally good at everything. When she got her PSAT scores back, she noticed that kids who have much better grades than her got much lower PSAT scores (and she didn't prepare much for the PSAT, so I don't think that was the difference).

So I'm just wondering, are some people just really good at standardized tests? When she took a diagnostic PSAT that the school offered having not studied at all, she got a 234, so I don't think her score on the actual test was inflated because she went to a few PSAT classes at the school...

And if she is able to score so high on the PSAT, should we be expecting all A's? Or is that just unreasonable since she is in hard classes and is working fairly hard? DH scored way lower on his tests yet was valedictorian, so maybe he is just basing his expectations on that? (don't worry, we are proud of her no matter what, but when she gets near perfect scores like these, we wonder what amazing things she could do if she worked harder)

Last edited by Bassetlover; 12/14/12 06:45 PM.