Originally Posted by Polly
You think he would be competitive against his agemates? Really? When 95% of kids are bigger and stronger and taller?

More like damage his self esteem further by placing sole importance on an area he can't hope to excel in (apart from the out of school sports others have mentioned). At least right now he can blame his age.

Spud Webb won the NBA Slam Dunk Contest at the 1986 All-Star exhibition. He was smaller than 100% of the NBA, at a mere 5'6" (or 5'7", depending on your source).

David Eckstein is also 5'6". He has two World Series championship rings, and he was a key component of both teams.

Brian Gionta, at 5'7", scored 48 goals in the NHL one year, and his name will live forever on the Stanley Cup.

Etc...

In far less significant news, I played flag football at age 19, as a defensive tackle... all 145 pounds of me. I was regularly matched up against blockers that easily weighed over 200. And I got past the blockers so often that the other teams had to start game-planning around me.

I beat those guys by being smarter, not stronger. And since we're all here talking about a gifted kid, there's no reason to assume, at this stage, that he can't do the same.