Hello Zebras.

I am also amazed that a score of 138 on the VCI does not qualifier her for some type of gifted services. I think I would question them as to what their specific cutoffs are for determining entrance to their gifted program. Most schools have a cutoff that is around 130 on the WISC-IV, I think? I have heard of some schools that require a FSIQ > 130, and will not accept individual subset scores as identification. But if that was the case, then they should have administered the complete WISC-IV to your DD. My son's school does not use the MAP test, so I'm not as familiar with it.

Also, do you know what their gifted program entails? My son's gifted program was not exactly stellar, and was comprised of a one-hour weekly pull-out class for "enrichment" (i.e. arts and craft projects) which included no new supplemental material academically. You might want to investigate what your school offers so that you know if you may need to bypass the gifted program altogether and head for subject acceleration.

The best advice we were given when my son was in 2nd grade and was not being challenged was to have the school give your child some version of an "end of the year" test or assessment for an advanced grade. If the school sees that she knows the vast majority of the 3rd grade curriculum in reading/writing/language arts (or higher grades?), then you can make a valid case to them that her needs are not being met in the regular classroom. This information is much clearer to teachers and principles than a number that they don't really understand on a test that they are not familiar with.

But if you want to make your case based on the WISC-IV score, then here are two links for tables that clearly show that gifted starts at about 130 on the WISC-IV.

Hoagies' Gifted Education Page
Hoagies GT LD Test FAQ

Hope this helps?
ebeth

Mom to DS12 and DD3