My oldest was tested by a grad student when she was 7 on the WISC-IV. I don't know how accurate the scores were or whether they would have been different with a more experienced tester. I do think that issues outside of the tester like major anxiety related to timed things depressed her score as much as anything.

She came out MG with wild scatter (btwn 19+ to 8 within one subtest, for instance). None the less, when all of that wild scatter was averaged, she was a 98th percentile kid which was more than our local schools require for GT ids and she's gotten all kinds of accommodations with that alone: grade skip, GT/accelerated classes, etc.

I do tend to think that she is more gifted than the scores would indicate as she's consistently performed higher than that even with being up to two years younger than many of her classmates. The only benefit I would see to having had the scores come in more in line with where she is more likely to be, though, would be if she qualified for DYS. She might be that able, but maybe somewhat below, which wouldn't surprise me either.