Originally Posted by ultramarina
even if I did sit down with her and work on that 4th grade textbook, she would probably become impatient with the slow speed of it once she "got" the concept.

Why? Once she gets it, you move on, right? When it's you doing the teaching, the one who controls the speed is you.

We've done length / weight / capacity in Singapore 3B, because my DD had zero intuitive grasp of the scale of things. After a bunch of dumping water around / measuring everything she could find with a stick made of 100 2cm Mathlink cubes stuck together / using a postage scale to split her deck of cards into even halves and quarters, she has a little bit more of a sense of things. We looked at the textbook for inspiration, and a couple of times I asked her how she'd solve a given problem, then we discussed the way the book demonstrated solving that problem. Then we were done.

She has an interest in the bar chart way of solving complex problems, but the point of drawing the bars is "learn this way of representing problems, so that it's in your toolkit should you come across a problem you can't solve using the tools you have right now." The main point isn't to find the answer to a given problem.