Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
Originally Posted by Iucounu
If I remember, at one point after I first joined the site, you were advocating the use of coloring books, and I was stating that I don't think that using them is as good as freeform art, since the latter stimulates more creativity. My, how time flies. smile

I would see coloring books as occasional handwriting and fine motor practice for a kid who likes them and totally different from free form art. Many of my concerns about video games relate to the pacing and potential affects on the brain as well as acting as a captivating draw that may prevent a child from learning to deal with boredom or engage in play that requires more skill areas such as sensory, motor skills, etc. Can't say I've got that same concern about coloring books.

Yes, they are totally different from free-form art. They're coloring in someone else's art instead of creating art. In comparison, it's hard to understand how using simulated soldiers some of the time, instead of molded plastic ones, is supposed to be so harmful to imagination.