Much of what you're suggesting already exists online in Web 2.0. One problem is finding these sources. If you dig and dig and dig or use the precise keyword search terms, you will find it. Another problem is using Google to retrieving systems.

A teacher is supposed to cater to a child's learning ability. That's kind of why teachers take those education classes - to learn about multiple intelligences and how to appeal to different learners. I'm not saying they practice it. Some do. Many do not and keep to the drill/kill, rote memorization route (dead and obsolete way).

There's a lot more than Khan Academy online, but that's the one many people are familiar with. Know Watch Learn (http://watchknowlearn.org/default.aspx) is a non-profit organization that hasn't gotten nearly as much notice as Khan.

There's tons of educational videos and virtual stuff (games, activities, virtual clothing store, etc.), but again unless you know where to look you won't necessarily find it; of course I'm guessing that you're motivated to find it and have the time, patience, and effort to do it.

Yes, it's true not everyone has Internet access. That's one of the goals to Creative Commons - http://creativecommons.org/education. Public libraries provide free Internet access through our taxes. And, in the Western world, the percentage of people with Internet access is high, though this doesn't mean that they know how to fully utilize it most efficiently and effectively.

Yes, it's true the Internet differs from television in one glaring respect. With television, the US Government has some control through the FCC over profanity and inappropriate content. But, it does not have as much control over cable television stations or pay-for-view stations.

As responsible parents, we monitor our children's television viewing. At an early age, we introduce our children to Sesame Street and encourage appropriate television viewing habits (ie. place limits on time and usage).

With television, there's appropriate stations and there's inappropriate stations. Do we place locks on our televisions or do we use our common sense and try to steer children appropriately?

Children learn with television to make good or bad decisions; they'll learn and have to learn with the Internet as well. I see that as part of a parent's job.

A lot of what you're asking has to do with control and trust. It's about thinking of the Internet from an adult's perspective and not from a child's. If a child is on e-learning and playing games, they can get a certificate when they finish to prove they completed it and not been on some inappropriate site.

Children, today, are going to grow up in a world with less governmental control, but look how much is allowed on television today than what was allowed 20-40 years ago. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but that's the reality today.

Look, teens are always going to find inappropriate stuff whether it's online or not. If you get a child engaged in learning, then they're less likely to get into trouble. Plenty of research to point this out.

If you want to let you children stay on commercial, fee-paying, propriety systems, that's your choice. But what I'm saying is that there's another entirely different world out there with Web 2.0. There is a non-commercial, FREE, open source one as well.

The Internet can be for commerce and adults, but it can be a wonderful world for children and for positive social change and action.