Originally Posted by st pauli girl
My first reaction was "oh crap." I emailed a friend whose son is HG+, and she responded jokingly with, "I'll go out and find a hallmark card that says "so sorry to hear you kid is profoundly gifted..." Also, kimck was immediately available with support (thanks!).

Congratulations on the great scores. It's hard to look at the scores and not to panic. I went through everything from "Wow!" to "OMG what are we going to do?"

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Also, seeing how many different kinds of HG kids there are was an eye-opener. I always thought profoundly gifted were those kids that you read about in the paper (going to college as kids). Although I have a really early reader, my kid does not seem like the idea of profoundly gifted I had in my head. And learning that homeschooling is not just for "out-there" families has been a real plus! wink

There are so many different ways of being HG+. I still don't know what to think about who PG kids are. I don't consider my son PG. I got up to using EG and even that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

I read a few replies about math coming to the game later on and I agree. Reading was what made us believe that DS5 (3 at that time) was gifted. He could do some math at that time, but it was pretty much in the "as expected" category. It may sound bad, but since both Dh and I are good in math, we expected him to be the same. When he turned 4 it became clear that he is more than quite smart in math and he really took off in last half a year. It looks like he learns something new every week. He just started to do long division with one digit divisor in his head and is clearly in the 4th grade math curriculum.

You may find yourself at this position a few years from now. It seems like math takes longer to take off. Sit back and watch. I am being taught this lesson by my DS3 right now. It was only last week when I said that he didn't care too much for math. This week he asks for word problems every evening during dinner time. Yesterday he proudly wrote a few addition and subtraction problems for us. For some reason mealtime time is our prime time to talk about math and science. I joke that we will homeschool during the mealtime only and will have the rest of the day free. LOL.

LMom