Ugh, the science fair letter came home this week. DS really wants to participate and came up with his own concept. However, he is going to need some guidance from Mom and Dad and I'm not sure how much help to provide. I don't want to stage manage, but I also know my child will have alot of trouble keeping a narrow focus without our help.

His question is Why can't salt water fish live in fresh water? This is a really big area of interest for him. He has always had a huge interest in fish and marine life. He has done some research on the web and at the library. He now thinks that the best way to approach it would be to show how salt and fresh water are different.

Would it be reasonable since we do not live near the ocean to try to make salt water from aquarium supplies and then do things like freeze and boil the different waters? I still don't see how that will answer the why part of his question. Seems like to great an assumption to me. His research has told him that it has to do with the salt levels needed by the fish and the salt levels in the environment.

In a macrabre way, his question would be much easier to test and prove if it was Can a salt water fish live in fresh water? :P