Originally Posted by jack'smom
The "bill" that people get doesn't reflect what the doctor gets. A bill for $138 doesn't mean either that the insurance company gives the practice $138- often it is $50 or less.
Right, I know that. As I noted, my insurance paid something like $25 per kid and the doctor's office billed the remainder to me. I work in the medical field, so I know that there are some write offs for agreements w/ insurance cos, but in this instance, the dr's office got nearly $300 for 15 mins of work btwn what my insurance paid and what I am paying. I know that covers office staff, supplies, insurance, etc., but it is still a good pay rate.

Back on topic, though, since I am the OP and someone else did bring up the original issue. We're going to try to make it through this year and, if things aren't better as the year goes on, consider something different for next year. I want her to give it a fair shake and see if it is going to be this much in terms of quantity long term. She's holding up grade wise and mostly emotionally for now. We took last night off and went to a concert and I'm trying to work with her on balancing life with school.