Originally Posted by geofizz
Wait, upon rereading, I interpret this differently. He had the comprehensive form. I read the info from the website as meaning if you have a preK-K kid you're testing, expect it to take ~30 minutes, 50 minutes if it's a grade 1 or 2 student, etc.

Right?!?
It's hard to know - I think private testing is in order because his profile seems so spikey. If he is showing unusual giftedness in one particular area, that has to part of what is making his challenge areas present so oddly. It would be ideal if there is a local tester who is both familiar with unusually gifted kids and familiar with kids with learning challenges.

Even if your child is identified 'gifted' in limited areas, and the school has zero interest in meeting his learning needs in those areas, I still think it's a good idea to get the identification because it makes a parent more likely to look into community resources for gifted - state association or university sponsered saturday or summer classes, for example.

I think of those places because that's where we got our letters of recommendation for DYS - we also had the situation where the teacher 'just didn't see anything unusual.' Chess clubs, Math circle, game nights, aviation clubs, 4H, or any other fun activity are also likely sources of letter-writers. Some familys end up hiring a Math mentor. Some of the parents of your daughter's friends who get her giftedness might also be willing to sit with your son for a few minutes, teach him what math they know, and then write a letter.

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com