Originally Posted by geofizz
In the last year, his language skills have gotten really spiky. My reading on Dr Google points to either a language processing problem or a form of dyslexia. Both of these explain part of what I'm seeing, but huge parts of each language processing disorders and dyslexia *don't* fit him.

There is an expression 'twice exceptional' or 'multi exceptional' that refers to kids with spiky profiles that include them with the gifted catagory in some areas and the disability (or 'realtive disabilty) catagory in other areas. If this fits your child, that may explain why 'huge parts of each disorder...don't fit him.' There are stories wild things such as a highly gifted child who was able to 'cover up' his deafness until mid elementary school.

breath

Do you have IQ test scores? If not I think that they would help.
Administration: Time: Comprehensive Form�(PreK-K) 30 minutes; (Grades 1-2) 50 minutes; (Grades 3+) 80 minutes; Brief Form�(4-6 to 90) 15-45 minutes
Scores: Scores/Interpretation: Age- and grade-based standard scores (M=100, SD=15), age and grade equivalents, percentile ranks, normal curve equivalents (NCEs), and stanines
Ages / Grades: Ages: 4-6 through 25 (Comprehensive Form); 4-6 through 90+ (Brief form)

So this shows that K-TEA is an acheivement test. Do you know if they gave him the 'PreK-K' 30 minute test or the 'Grades 1-2' 50 minute test? It may be that at his age, his Math ability is less unusual - or it may be that his Math ability is very very unusual. If he seems to have picked it up all on his own, or you had no idea that he knew stuff, that nudges you in the direction of thinking that his ability to self-teach if very unusally high. If you've been quizzing him daily (not that there is anything wrong with that) then you are maybe looking at a more 'pleasantly gifted' kind of situation.

But if you have supporting IQ scores,and live in the USA, I would recommend you start filling out an application to Davidson Young Scholar's Program, because that Math Score is 160, and he would only need a Math Score of 145 on K-TEA and supporting IQ scores in a single subsection to qualify. For most purposes a score of 130 is the level of unusualness to qualify for most gifted programs. And yes, the age/grade thing is possibly clouding the picture, so try to keep all this info in the 'hum, interesting' catagory of your mind.

If it helps, I define giftedness as a 'special educational need' not as anything much else. You simply want to know if he's is likely to get much out of a classroom program designed to meet the needs of his grademates. You also want to know why he 'doesn't fit' this disability catagories. This could be playing a role. Of course, you are posting on a 'gifted board' so what else would we be thinking? ((wink))

Hope that helps,
Get an IQ test if you don't have one in the last 2 years, not a WPPSI, get a WISC-IV.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com