Originally Posted by laura0896
I have been told that there are a number of GT kids his age testing similarly and that they will be together.

I receive his MAP's today where they only print the national norms, not the district norms.

Come grade 5/6 he can move into a higher math class as needed. What I see is that the amount of acceleration he might miss out on until then does not outweigh the language component. I can HS and have tutors to meet his needs to bridge the gap in math... but I can't make him bilingual - for sure!!!

I am afraid to request an IQ test... it seems that outside of the guy I met with today, I am the only one that sees how smart he is and/or capable, competent... MaMa syndrome.

OK - either post those MAP numbers or go look up against the national norms - how high up would a child be expected to need to go to find himself smiling at the 90% for reading and math and tell us that - you won't know if it's MaMa syndrome until you see what the numbers say - WISC numbers and MAP numbers.

It's easy for a teacher to say 'Look, here's 2 kids at the 90%, 2 more at the 95th% and one more at the 99th% - so we have a bunch of children who are alike.' But that is only true if your child is very close to the 98th%, rather than 99.999999 - see what I mean?

I expect that the teachers are acting in good faith - because 99.9999 is very rare, and as humans, we tend to be quite willing to act as if the 'quite rare' just plain doesn't exist. But it does exit. So find out if it exists at your house!

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com