I was concerned about that E Mama because I didn't want him locked into a label that didn't fit. I had him informally evaluated for autism by an early childhood educator, who had just been to a course in identifying autism, and a doctor back when we discovered the speech delay. In the one case she was able to point out specific differences between my son's behavior and autistic behavior, and the doctor also gave specific reasons why he wasn't worried about it. So it just doesn't fit my son.

I will take a look at that book kcab. It sounds really interesting.

I thought I understood the concept of over-excitabilities, but no matter how I tried to explain it to his first K teacher she just took it as one more evidence that he had aspergers. It was really frustrating. That was why I wondered if "gifted" and "aspergers" had become synonymous.

I appreciate your comments herenow. At my son's Montessori school the director also had gifted children so she is pretty flexible. My son is in the 3-6yo classroom right now (by his choice) but he still has access to the math and reading programs through the fourth grade. Next year he will move to the 6-9yo room and there he will have access to the entire curriculum, depth and breadth, through 8th grade and beyond. I feel very lucky to have found such an enlightened school, and to have it be such a good fit, at least for now.

Last edited by smmtvw; 05/12/11 02:55 PM.