Confuses correlation with causation, IMO.

Just as ridiculous as noting that neighborhoods and socioeconomic outcomes improve with home-ownership relative to non-homeowners. That doesn't mean that all of those socioeconomic ills are cured just by granting loans to people who otherwise don't qualify for mortgages. (As we've now seen, I sincerely hope.)

In other words, maybe fixing the problems that led them to be poorly qualified for mortgages might have been a better (real?) solution.

Same thing with college-for-all. Okay, higher earnings are associated with college degrees. But maybe that isn't causative as a relationship. Maybe it's correlative instead.

Back to the original topic here-- I have been floored by this phenomenon in my DD's coursework. It's high VOLUME-- so students, teachers, and parents feel that their kids are "working REALLY HARD!!" The phenomonon there seems to be about window dressing and not about reality, however.

Or, in to steal a quote from Christmas Vacation:

(In reference to the expense and trouble of all of the-- nonfunctional-- Christmas lights)

Francis (Clark's MIL): Talk about p***ing your money away. I hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.

Audrey Griswold: He worked really hard, Grandma.

Art (FIL): So do washing machines.

Maybe I'm just naturally flippant and irreverent, but I so often find myself looking at my DD's schoolwork and thinking... SERIOUSLY?? crazy This is high school?? NO. WONDER. This explains so much about those poor students that were woefully unprepared for college chemistry. Er.. college anything, truth be told.

Washing machines. That's what schools are all about now. <nodding>

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.