A recent article describing how A.P. courses are being pushed on unqualified students is

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...4/25/a_lesson_in_advanced_mis_placement/
A lesson in Advanced mis-Placement
By Junia Yearwood
Boston Globe
April 25, 2011

For the four years I taught the AP English and composition course at English High, many of my students were victims of the AP mania that had invaded the system. Suddenly, officials had recognized the dearth of faces of color in AP classes and the drive to augment the AP minority population went into high gear. The College Board and sympathetic philanthropic rescuers rushed in to solve the problem by dangling the carrot of grant money, and the feeding frenzy was on. AP classes sprouted and multiplied across all disciplines. AP scouts scoured students� report cards hunting for qualifying scores; teacher recommendations were solicited for students with the �potential�� to do AP work, and the nominees were summarily conscripted.

Even though students had marked deficiencies in basic reading and writing skills, and little desire to work hard, and even though they made repeated requests for transfers, the dragooning of students into my AP course persisted.

My frequent reminders to school officials that students� reading and writing levels and willingness to work hard were more important indicators of AP success than their perceived academic potential were berated and ignored. Administrators and some teachers countered with the �data-driven�� argument that, not only does more exposure to AP courses and tests benefit students by preparing them for the rigors of college, but it signaled our high expectations of them.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell