Thanks Grinity, for putting her "fear of my wrath" in perspective.

I am breathing a little better now.

I asked her what she wanted to do at this point and what I can do to help - given what is at stake (she has been accepted to her dream college which is tiny and very intimate for fall, but who knows how this could affect that).

She came up with the plan of first going to talk to her teachers and asking for "In-completes" or "withdrawals" or a compromise of some kind. We have emailed requests for meetings to both teachers (their phone numbers have been disconnected for �cost savings�!!). Once she finds out what they are willing to do, she will email her dream college admissions counselor and ask if they will accept whatever the proposed solution is. If they require it, she will re-take the classes (unfortunately only one of them is being offered in the summer).

Katelyn's Mom, I really don't think more time or correspondence classes will make things better, she has been academically bored, depressed, and socially isolated from her peers for way too long already. She has completed the �recommended� High School curriculum; these classes were just so we could say she had that 3rd lab science that would put her on par with the State's �distinguished� graduation track.

When she described the experience at the university campus, I think I understand some of the things that put her off track: 200+ students in a class, awkward and near impossible to find a seat if you are late. The campus was an hour drive from where we live, longer if there was a train or traffic jam. Parking was at least a mile from the class building (the campus is huge, spanning many city blocks), teachers seem very busy and inaccessible/impersonal. She did not get her diagnosis and meds until after she had fallen off the track and yes Mich, I think by then it was far too overwhelming to get back on track.

I suspect there might be perfectionism in there somewhere but I think it is primarily the executive function deficits and as the diagnostician put it "trouble with the ignition switch". In the past, she never got behind per se, she just wouldn't do the busywork but her test scores got her through. She absorbs material very quickly so she gets painfully bored with the pace of the typical "lecture on whats already in the book, then take a quiz" classes.

Am I crazy to think she will thrive once she is at her dream college - fully immersed in the very structured program? I asked her how she thought it would be different there and she said that she will be "living the program 24/7" it will be her �whole life� and she feels that is what she needs. Also, the classes are 100% interactive so not boring lectures but rather active debate and dialogue. The college is so intimate that students take their teachers (tutors) to lunch and get to know them on a personal level. Also, all students take the same classes, so they are always all on the same page.

I am afraid focusing any more efforts on �fixing� her weak spots before sending her off to college would just be demoralizing and counterproductive when it looks like the majority of the traps will be eliminated at this college. Her weakest spot (writing) seems to have been largely cured by the meds.

This is all so new to me, I don't know how to deal with the disabilities office, I am not even sure what to ask for. I guess if the current teachers are not helpful, we could plead for a medical withdrawal. I guess we should be pro-active and contact the disabilities office at the dream college ahead of time but again, what do we ask for? Can we demand the kindest, most approachable, nurturing empathetic and engaging teachers? :-)

Sigh...sorry for the lengthiness, I haven't slept in 36 hours