Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links


Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

  • Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

  • Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

    Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 626 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    justinwilliams, Jessica D, Xtydell, lll, A WA parent
    11,406 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    A
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    A
    Joined: Jan 2011
    Posts: 253
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. wink
    ― Thomas Paine

    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Something I read in the book "Smart Boys" was that exceptionally gifted men have a harder time staying married because they see a spouse as one more achievement. This theory fits modern parenting research that says we need to focus on what's inside, not on achievement. (you know, like my son's t-ball team didn't keep score at all this season). But, I don't know. I know divorced people. I don't think the #1 cause was an achievement mindset.
    Just brought it up because marriage is a big part of many adult lives.


    Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Joined: Jul 2011
    Posts: 2,007
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2011
    Posts: 2,007
    Originally Posted by Rocky
    Not to listen to you argue the case for something you don't believe. It comes off as disingenuous, unempathetic, condescending, and arrogant, even if it isn't meant that way.

    I'm pretty sure that arguing the case for something in which I don't believe is what I'm technically paid to do.

    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    "Courage is the ability to go from failure to failure without loosing enthusiasm". -Winston Churchill on a calander

    Joined: Feb 2012
    Posts: 1,390
    E
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    E
    Joined: Feb 2012
    Posts: 1,390
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I'm pretty sure that arguing the case for something in which I don't believe is what I'm technically paid to do.

    Maybe this is the real reason that everyone hates lawyers (at least until they need one).

    Joined: May 2007
    Posts: 982
    L
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    L
    Joined: May 2007
    Posts: 982
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    "Courage is the ability to go from failure to failure without loosing enthusiasm". -Winston Churchill on a calander

    I saw that quote while looking for a good quote about unavoidable setbacks.

    My son told me yesterday that instead of being sad all the time I needed to get angry because you can channel anger into something productive--like he is doing by learning Japanese and improving piano skills. He doesn't dwell on the fact that he has to wear a painful brace until he stops growing which will probably be at least another year and he has already worn a brace for 2 1/2 years. I can't help being sad that he missed having a normal childhood and that we just keep getting slammed with bad luck.

    After each bad luck event I try to see the positive. My husband managed to throw the chainsaw out of his way when he fell off the ladder this morning while trimming the storm damaged tree and he didn't break any bones. He rode his motorcycle to work several days last week because my car was in the shop and he didn't get killed.

    At least we are surviving and our son seems to be handling his difficulties without losing his enthusiasm and his sense of humor and I am so thankful for that.

    How do you regain enthusiasm once it is lost? I just feel so tired.


    Schaps #131633 06/09/12 12:06 PM
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Originally Posted by Schaps
    I am interested in starting a discussion about problems facing "gifted" adults. My reading has led me to believe that I may belong to that category and it would be helpful to discusss some of the challenges that this "group" has to deal with on a day-to-day basis.
    Please respond if anyone is interested. Thanks.

    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...s&ct=sl-citedby&resnum=1&ved=0CF4QzgIwAA

    Especially go see page 3 of results.


    Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Schaps #131634 06/09/12 12:24 PM
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,777
    Lori, I just don't know.

    I just read that fear of the unknown and anxiety in some gifted individuals is a type of overexcitabilities.
    http://m.jeg.sagepub.com/content/34/4/669.abstract?sid=17f971ab-5650-44a5-8aef-52c31e3d454f

    I keep hearing that feeling like you have no control causes or contributes to depression, and depression causes loss of energy and enthusiasm.
    http://mindrenewal.us/page4.html

    I don't know if real life's that simplified. My cousin who's a therapist said any medical doctor can prescribe you a mild anti-depressant to get you over this. I haven't tried it because I'm extended nursing.

    My trusted guru says my feelings tired, loss of control, and loss of enthusiasm is part of the package of having kids. He's Catholic so he's said his scriptures say to take good care of the widows and childless, who I guess weren't taken good care of back then. He says that was a very practical commandment because what it actually ended up doing was keeping these women around the community that had all the skills and talents of a woman and a mother but the difference was they had energy and enthusiasm to do things for the community because they didn't have children.


    Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Joined: May 2012
    Posts: 21
    K
    Kjj Offline
    Junior Member
    Offline
    Junior Member
    K
    Joined: May 2012
    Posts: 21
    Originally Posted by Rocky
    Conversational and interview skills are just skills that you develop.
    Rocky

    I actually think the ability to converse and interview can be gifts, as well. Probably most people can learn to be adequate-to-proficient at conversing/interviewing, but there are some people who have an incredible gift for it.

    I hear them and think, there's no way that's effortful study; that's a gift...

    Joined: Oct 2011
    Posts: 2,856
    Member
    Offline
    Member
    Joined: Oct 2011
    Posts: 2,856
    Originally Posted by Kjj
    I actually think the ability to converse and interview can be gifts, as well. Probably most people can learn to be adequate-to-proficient at conversing/interviewing, but there are some people who have an incredible gift for it.

    I hear them and think, there's no way that's effortful study; that's a gift...

    I disagree. We live in a rich laboratory environment of language, with tons of examples of how to do it right and do it wrong. All you have to do is observe, analyze, and apply.

    I've been asked by adults for advice on how they could improve their communication skills. I give them a simple answer: read.

    Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

    Moderated by  M-Moderator 

    Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 12:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 04:28 PM
    Finding 2e informed medical providers?
    by millersb02 - 02/27/24 05:39 AM
    Book: Gifted and Distractible (Oct 2023)
    by indigo - 02/23/24 12:15 PM
    I sent aeh a reply to an old message
    by 13umm - 02/21/24 04:11 PM
    Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5