Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JewelsJC Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/28/10 11:26 PM
Well, the time has come to get our application in the mail.

DD turned 5 yesterday, and I think I am ready for the next step.

I have not finished filling out the application yet, since I just cannot figure out what shows her above grade level abilities and what is just "advanced".

We are only submitting IQ scores and a portfolio of work. (we do have placement test results from her school too)

I guess I was just starting up a thread to see if anyone else is going to be watching and waiting this month.

Well, off to work on those application questions again.

crazy

Posted By: onthegomom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/28/10 11:55 PM
Good luck! We were just accepted. I hope other reply for you. It's nice to have company.
Posted By: Golfer26 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 01:37 AM
We are sending the application for our DS7 in February....(finally, after months of "thinking about it"). Looking forward to getting it out of my hands and into someone else's.

Posted By: Anne4 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 02:16 AM
We sent one in January, so waiting to hear next month. The application was not all that difficult once I got started on it. My DS is 8 though, so maybe the questions are easier to answer by that age. Good luck!
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 03:36 AM
Good luck for both of you!
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 03:38 AM
We too are sending the application in February. We hope DS5 will get to join his older brother (DYS7).

We only got DS5 achievement test scores last week. I must admit that we haven't started working on the application yet but I did ask for the recommendation letters earlier this week. We have both IQ and achievement test results. Hopefully they will be good enough.

Good luck to everybody waiting. I am glad I have a company to wait with wink

Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 05:00 AM
It is nice to have company.

Good luck to all our families!
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/29/10 05:35 AM
Wolf's (5.6) application should be going in within the next week. I'm just now trying to edit together the videos we've taken of him to send in a sample of him in action.
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/30/10 12:06 AM
I am also going to apply this month for my DS who is 9 - I just have to stop procrastinating smile. Unfortunately, this is my downfall that seems to work best for me but college and grad school were very stressful cry. But I'm glad to hear that once you get going on the application it gets easier. Well good luck to everyone and hopefully I get it in on time!!!!!.

Jules
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/30/10 06:57 AM
It's going in the envelope tonight and to the post office tomorrow...
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 01/31/10 04:29 PM
Good Luck everybody. Don't stress over appl. to much. (although, I must admit I did) Just ask your questions here. There is lots of help and support here.
Posted By: Anne4 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/03/10 09:31 PM
Just wanted to say that I found out today that my DS8 was accepted! They emailed last week (Jan 29), but it went to my DH's work email address, so of course he never noticed it. (Obviously, need to change the email contact address!) Glad they send a letter as well!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/03/10 09:39 PM
Yay, Anne4's DS8! smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/03/10 09:47 PM
Yippee Anne4!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/03/10 10:10 PM
Congrats!
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Anne4
Just wanted to say that I found out today that my DS8 was accepted! They emailed last week (Jan 29), but it went to my DH's work email address, so of course he never noticed it. (Obviously, need to change the email contact address!) Glad they send a letter as well!

Congrats!! That happened to me as well. It had gone to my secondary email address where I get a ton of extra stuff, so it got buried in there. My dh eventually did notice. One of the first things I did was to ask them to change the email address.
Posted By: Botchan Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 01:54 AM
Congratulations!!
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 03:29 AM
Congratulations!

They must process the January applications pretty fast. When we applied in January 2 years ago we too got the reply before the end of January.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 04:04 AM
Anne4, Congrats!
I am hoping that they process the February applications just as quick. (I guess I better get back to finishing the application now)
Posted By: Anne4 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 04:31 AM
Thanks everyone! I hope they continue to process things quickly and good luck on the application. It really wasn't too bad once I got started on it.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/04/10 07:07 AM
Congrats!!! Hope I'm in your shoes in a month...
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/09/10 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by onthegomom
Good luck! We were just accepted. I hope other reply for you. It's nice to have company.

OTGM - I thought you mentioned in one of your posts that DYS delayed the start of your services due to a missing signature from your DS. I am searching high and low on the DYS application for where they are expecting DC to sign, and I cannot find any. Am I safe to assume that the missing signature was on the follow up forms DYS sent you after your DS was accepted?

I am just trying to dot all my i's and cross all of my t's, before putting this in the mail.(well, by the time I get this finalized I am sure it will be going to FedEx)

Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/09/10 05:00 AM
Jewel, you are right. There is no DC signature on the application but he/she needs to sign the forms that come with the acceptance letter.

We mailed DS5 application last week. I am waiting for a confirmation e-mail saying that they got at least one of the recommendation forms and we are all good.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 06:44 AM
I think I need a drink! I finished DD5's application today, and had it to the FedEx office by 3pm. All they have to do is get it 100 miles by 4pm on the 14th. (DH said we could have driven it there ourselves, seeing as we will be spending the next several days skiing very close to Reno)

After looking at the application for over 7 months, I am sure glad it is on its way. Of course I am still second guessing myself. Should we have done achievment testing? Did we include the right things in her Work Samples? Do they really care about comparing fractions worksheets done by a 3 year old? Are pictures of her whiteboard drawings and stories from when she was 4 really relevant? Should I have included the 1st grade spelling tests she got 100% on when she was 3.5?

You know the old saying, "You only get once to make a first impression", and I feel as if we (as parents of gifties) are constantly walking the fine line of wanting to be proud and yet not wanting to be braggarts.

It is so hard to make this first impression on our DD's behalf long distance and through a FedEx envelope. I guess it is all out of my hands, and we will just have to let that 3 lb envelope introduce our precious DD to DYS.

Fingers Crossed,
Jewels
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 09:11 AM
I'm right there with you! I'm going to be one big bundle of nerves till I hear from them with the results...
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 11:38 AM
Jewels,

If you have second thoughts about sending something in to DYS, you can fax it. If they need more info. they will let you know.

Best of luck.
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 02:06 PM
Good luck. I can only imagine how difficult it's to put together a portfolio as I struggled quite a lot with just the application itself.

As strange as it may sound it didn't help that we went through it with DS7 two years ago. We already did it once, we found the perfect answers for DS7 then but of course, they don't really apply to DS5. It's like knowing the best response but not being able to use it. Portfolio must have been so much harder than this.

I am glad it's done and over with. A few days ago I got a confirmation e-mail from DITD that they had received the full application. I fully intend to completely forget about it for next few weeks. If not then I hope I switch back to a cleaning mood as I did before and after DS5 took WJ-III. That could be rather helpful wink

Good luck to everybody waiting. Keep in mind that unless you apply with low scores the worst that will happen is being asked for more information or testing.

May I suggest chocolate and wine while we are all waiting? smile
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 03:18 PM
LMom, you are so right. The worst they can do, is ask for more Information. Her WPPSI scores were absolutely great, and we never did achievement tests because her private school did placement tests and accelerated her without us having to provide acheivment results. (we were only going to have her do achievement tests if they were needed to qualify for DYS, since money does not grow on trees in our neck of the woods)

I think wine and chocolate are on the daily menu this weekend (valentines day is a great excuse to have it on hand). :-)

I guess my next task is to try to just forget about it for awhile. The wine should help! Lol

Posted By: shellymos Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 04:53 PM
good luck to you all! Hopefully will get some more DYS's to join DS5 soon! (and if I can dream big, maybe even some that are within driving distance) : )
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 05:06 PM
Still snowbound? Wow. Here is some wine then wink and chocolate too smile

Talking about waiting, I highly recommend taking SCAT right before a snowstorm hits Baltimore. If you plan it really well then there are may even be another snowstorm following right after the first one making sure nobody makes it to the office for a week.

So much for having the results on the Internet within 24 hours. There are times when 24 business hours are really hard to come smile

Posted By: BWBShari Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 05:13 PM
LMom,

I signed DS up for SCATand haven't received anything confiming other than a confirmation on my credit card. I've called several times but they are still closed due to weather.
We were thinking of applying for DYS via fax today for our DS8 and DD5. We have IQ and Achievement scores for both kids, but I'm wondering; are they enough? My DD's WPPSI full-scale score was only 147, though she hit ceilings in 5 of the 9 subtests. I think it's still okay, since her verbal score was well over >99.9%, but does anyone else have any thoughts? Her Achievement scores were only 97% math, 98% reading, oral language 99%, listening comprehension>99.9%, oral language composite >99.9%. She has two strong recommendations from her preschool teachers and recs from both testing psychologists. Ideas?
Hi BellevueMomof2 - Go ahead and apply! The minimum qualifications are still "qualifications." If they want additional information, they will ask you. Good luck!
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/12/10 09:47 PM
BellevueMom. What achievement testing did your dd do? Do you have any portfolio items that you could include to boost her application?

Worst case scenario, they ask you to submit extra information, and you could do that the following month.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/13/10 04:09 AM
Well, FedEx did their job and got the application to Reno by 9:30 am this morning. I didn't even have to log on to track the package online this morning; I went to the laptop at noon, and saw an email from DYS syaing they had a complete application for DD.

Ok, passing more wine and chocolate around!
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/14/10 01:51 AM
I think I will need more wine and chocolate not because of DYS but SCAT.

Let me see JHU was closed the entire week due to snow. Monday is President's Day and there is a new snowstorm coming on Tuesday! Something tells me that once the people finally make it to the office (in March, perhaps) my son's scores won't be their highest priority.

Pass the wine, please.

Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/18/10 04:34 PM
I finally did it. After YEARS of procrastination. Horrible right? I have started the application at least once a year since he was 5, now he's 8. I am SO intimidated by having to write the answers frown I hope they don't hold that against my son if my answers are short or not exactly what they look for. I don't know - I didn't want to gush about the wonderfulness of DS and at the same time I had trouble coming up with isolated examples to write about. I didn't have any other kids around to compare him to developmentaly. Is it unusual for a kid's first words to include trapezoid? (lol now, not back then!) *stress* But - his scores are high and I hope that has more weight than my lousy essay writing! frown

BUT the good news is I got the email, they have recieved it and it's complete! I hope to hear back soon, sooo nervous. Are you all stressing over this like me?
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/18/10 04:40 PM
Good for you JoAnna! I tried to (with relative success) to not stress about it for the first couple of weeks. I figured I'd start checking my email more frequently than usual not earlier than the beginning of the next month.
Posted By: Golfer26 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/18/10 07:01 PM
Well, for various reasons (reading, editing, rereading, snowdays, etc.) I did not make the 2/14 application deadline for this month. frown

However, it is out of my hands and on its way to DITD as of yesterday. Big relief...for now!

Unfortunately, we are approaching "tuition deposit time" for the next school year, and we are really wishing we had the benefit of expert advice in our deliberations.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/22/10 11:08 PM
hangin' in there...waiting, waiting, waiting! Boy, this has been a long week!
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/22/10 11:23 PM
I haven't really thought about it too much since we submitted the application. I hope to wait till March before I start checking my e-mail obsessively.

Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/23/10 01:35 AM
haha...I am OCD by nature...so I am checking daily already. More wine and chocolate anyone?

I think I will need to up my Pilates to 4 days a week if I keep hitting the wine and sweets.

Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/27/10 07:04 PM
Okay, it is Saturday and I think I am officially going nuts!
I know there is no chance in hearing anything from DYS over the weekend, so I guess I better start cleaning the house.

I am almost afraid to ask, but......Has anyone heard from DYS regarding their application yet?

Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/27/10 08:14 PM
Nope. Been watching this thread hoping someone posts the second they find out! LOL
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/27/10 09:56 PM
Nothing here. When we applied for DS7 in Jan 08 we got the written reply before the end of January. While I don't expect such a fast response this time around I am sure I will start looking for one next week.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 02/27/10 10:04 PM
Haha...of course we had to apply in February, with 2 school holidays and a shortened month. I sure hope next week brings us the news.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/04/10 01:00 PM
it's been 3 weeks, stress stress stress...i could SO use their help right now!!
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/04/10 01:57 PM
Has it been already 3 weeks? I thought it will be 3 weeks next Monday as the earliest they could have started the review process was Feb 15th.

I must admit that I've started checking out my e-mail obsessively even though I don't expect to hear anything till the next week. On the other hand, the SCAT detailed report should have already been here frown

As for getting help if your child gets admitted it will take at least another month before everything is set up as there is additional paperwork to be filled out, accounts to be set, etc.

Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/04/10 03:09 PM
I also applied this month. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me if DYS could help me answer some questions and give me some guidance about what to do with a few situations at my son's school. I really need some advice and I don't know where else to go. Does anyone know if they are available in this way even if your child has not gotten in yet or may not get in at all? Thank you so much.

Jules
Posted By: Kriston Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/04/10 09:07 PM
I posted a response on the other thread, Jules.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/04/10 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jules726
I also applied this month. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me if DYS could help me answer some questions and give me some guidance about what to do with a few situations at my son's school. I really need some advice and I don't know where else to go. Does anyone know if they are available in this way even if your child has not gotten in yet or may not get in at all? Thank you so much.
Jules

Not sure. I know CTY gives consultations for a small fee ($15 I think) as we did that a long time ago. I also know that after DS5 was accepted into DYS we contacted them and had someone call us before an official family consultant was assigned because we really wanted some ideas and advice for school quickly.
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/05/10 05:32 PM
Thank you. I will look into it. I as well could use their help. It's like you don't know where else to go as you feel like you've exhausted all of your options and you are watching another year going by and being wasted - especially as they are starting to get older frown. At this point my son is starting to ask ME to ask the school and I can't even do anything for him - so sad.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/05/10 05:40 PM
So, is anyone else jumping out of their skin each time a "new email" shows up in their in-box?
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/05/10 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by JewelsJC
So, is anyone else jumping out of their skin each time a "new email" shows up in their in-box?

That would be me whistle Fortunately I gave them an e-mail which I don't use for any of my mailing lists so there aren't not that many new messages there. On the other hand when one comes chances are that it could be the one. Next week will be even worse frown
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/05/10 10:12 PM
After LMom posted that she got good news I checked a last time and am happy to say DS8 got accepted smile Thrilled not to have to wait through the weekend!!
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/05/10 10:42 PM
Congrats!!!
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/06/10 08:49 AM
Yes, congrats! Still no news for us and since other people got emails today I'm a bit nervous!

I checked the mail today and there was a big manila envelope. I was so sad when it wasn't from Davidson. We don't get big envelopes often so I was really hoping...
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/06/10 02:55 PM
You will get email news way before any snail mail. When we got in a few months ago, there were 2 batches of mails. Both days I think some people got "yes" responses and others "need more info".
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/06/10 04:04 PM
Wyldkat, I am right there with you, and am getting nervous too! I think it will be highly unlikely to get an email over the weekend, but it does not stop me from checking my email like a crazy person.
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/07/10 03:23 AM
Good luck JewelsJC and Wylkdat. The waiting must be even worse now that you know that some of us already got the answer.

I was glad that we found out before the weekend, but that must make it even more difficult for you as you had two extra days of waiting ahead of you.

Fingers crossed you have a good news to post on Monday
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/09/10 05:12 AM
ARGH!!! Still nothing! sigh...
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/09/10 07:18 AM
I know how you feel, we have not heard anything yet either.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/09/10 06:06 PM
i hope everyone hears something soon.

do they respond no matter what the decision?

I'm curious how many people apply monthly, anyone have an idea?
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/09/10 08:41 PM
Yes, they do. They might ask you to provide more information, say yes, or no thank you.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/09/10 08:54 PM
ah, thanks for the answer. so, that's great for those who haven't heard. maybe their applications were so amazing they are passing them around the water cooler before sending out notices? smile
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 07:02 AM
That would be great! But I'd rather KNOW!!! Still nothing...
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 07:57 AM
We are still in the "we have not heard anything" boat. I just keep reminding myself to just keep breathing. :-)
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 01:51 PM
I'm with you Wyldkat and JewelsJC. I keep checking my e-mail but I figure they'll do it when they're ready. We were on the cusp so we'll see what happens smile.
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 02:01 PM
Did all of you submit a portfolio? May be that's the reason for the delay as I am sure it takes longer to evaluate.

I don't know about JoAnna but we submitted qualifying scores only.

Good luck, the wait must be getting longer with every minute.
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 02:12 PM
Yes, we did submit a portfolio. Thanks for the suggestion smile.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 02:51 PM
ahh!! Lmom is brilliant smile I only submitted test scores so I think she's onto something!!
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/10/10 06:50 PM
Yes, we did submit a portfolio too! Along with qualifying IQ scores. You have just given me a little space to breathe again. Thanks!
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/11/10 07:33 AM
Portfolio for us as well. I was also starting to think that maybe they only send out announcement emails on Friday? Made me feel a bit better. Still checking the email obsessively though...
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/11/10 12:35 PM
Could be true about fridays. I got my email on a friday at the very end of the business day (EST) The time on the email was 4:59 so I remember thinking how it was in the last possible minutes before the weekend. It was just after I saw Lmom post she got an email so I checked a last time.

Hang in there!!
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/11/10 06:49 PM
Hey Everyone.

Okay. I just got my e-mail. And it's not terrible but it's not what we were hoping for. They didn't deny us but they are asking for more information. Does anyone have any advice? We submitted The Wisc IV IQ test in which he qualifies (but it was just 2 years ago) and then a portfolio. This is what they are also asking:

The review committee would greatly appreciate additional information in the form of updated testing OR additional work samples in Jake�s areas of strength.

Please see below for more information:

Testing: You may submit at least one recent achievement or talent search/college placement test listed on the first website found below to assist the review committee in making a final determination regarding the application. The committee would prefer an individually administered achievement test; however, we understand this may not be feasible for every family and will accept one of the group administered talent search or college placement tests. Please see the links below for more information:

Qualification Criteria (for a list of the tests accepted for application to the Young Scholars program)

www.davidsonyoungscholars.org

Article - A Place to Start: Is My Child Gifted? (for testing information)

www.davidsongifted.org/db/APlaceToStart

Work samples: You may submit additional work samples to supplement any portfolio items you�ve already submitted. In order for the Review Committee to best assess your child�s abilities, please submit a portfolio of at least three pieces of the applicant�s work that best demonstrate his/her advanced abilities in academic areas. Independent work that is completed without the assistance of teachers or parents and is 2 to 3 grade levels above age peers is preferred. Some of the most informative samples have included intellectual activities the applicant has completed just for fun and completely on their own, such as math �doodles,� creative writing, or autonomous projects. Based on Jake�s application and areas of interest, you may wish to submit samples of math work that shows the steps he�s followed in problem-solving, or a DVD/CD recording in which he could discuss one of his interests, such as a science-related topic. In order for the portfolio items to be viewed in the context in which they were completed, please briefly describe each item, including the applicant�s age and grade level at the time of completion, as well as the circumstances of the work (i.e. if it was completed independently or as part of a school project, how many times the work was revised, how and why the applicant completed this particular piece of work, etc.).

Please submit these items within 1 year of the date of this email. Information submitted later than one year may require portions or the entire application to be updated.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about this? I think testing would be better but if so which tests - especially with the limited dates and money being an issue. Also, can anyone give me examples of portfolio items that are 2-3 grades above their level - my DS is 9. Thanks so much and at least the waiting is over smile.

Jules
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/12/10 07:33 AM
We're still waiting... sigh...

As for your application, they suggested we send in a tape of Wolf doing out there things, although I think their phrasing was nicer. What have you already sent it, portfolio-wise?
Posted By: Jules726 Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/12/10 02:50 PM
I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what they wanted and it's been harder since he is 9 and he is so involved with other things I didn't have much else to send in as I threw away much of his stuff from when he was younger. We did submit a space game he made in 2nd grade in which he researched EVERYTHING and created it all himself, an imaginative and humorous power point where he used his own "language" and a story that he wrote in 1st grade that had quite extensive vocabulary. We also told them about a diorama that he made when he was three in which he created all these habitats and explained EVERY dinosaur, their origin, habitats, and anything else you could think of about dinosaurs (but who has that on videotape?? He's more into math, science, and chess but I couldn't come up with any expamles. What about you? And I hope you hear something today and that it's positive. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Also, we only had one set of test scores where he had a GAI of 146 from the WISC IV test so I guess the portfolio would have been important. Good luck.

Jules
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/12/10 05:12 PM
Ok, well we got our email today. I was thinking that it would either be a "YES" or a "NO" or a "go get Achievement testing".

What we got was a "please submit a few more work samples". So, I am also now in the same boat as Jules, and will be capturing DD5 discussing her passions (Ancient Eqypt and the Creation of the Universe)on video as well as sending in more of her original poetry. They asked for more samples from her academic classes, so I will also send in assignemnts and worksheets that she is working on for her 3rd grade language and math classes.

I really hope that will be enough. Alot of stuff in her original portfolio was from when she was 3 and 4, and I get the feeling from the tone of the letter that they want more current stuff.

We only submitted her WPPSI scores

Verbal 143/99.8%
Performance 155/>99.9%
Processing Speed 125/95
Full 150/>99.9%
Prorated Full (w/o Processing Speed) 154/>99.9%

So, I guess I will spend the next week or two gathering the specifics they are asking for. And, yes....I do think they want the "outlier" stuff...the stuff that we as parents tend to keep to ourselves because it is just "too out there". :-)

Jewels
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/12/10 05:21 PM
It does seem that they want that more recent stuff.

Jewels, how old is your DD and when was she tested? You might also want to have the camera ready at all times in case she is on to something...
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:12 AM
We never received an email, but I got a letter in the mail today. They told us he wasn't accepted and that we could reapply in six months. That was it. Didn't say why, didn't say anything about the portfolio, nothing. Due to our financial situation we submitted just a portfolio since they said that was an option for people who couldn't afford testing. I sent an email asking for some kind of information. I have no idea what else to submit if what we submitted wasn't good enough.

So we can't afford testing and the portfolio wasn't enough. Now what? I'm 99.9% certain he qualifies. We submitted a 1000 page novel he wrote for NaNoWriMo that a college English teacher said was better than many of the papers she got in her classes. Everything else was at least 2 grade levels above his age, most of it was 4+ levels above his age. We submitted work samples, like what he turns in for class, and a video of him with the other ISP kids almost all of whom are at least 5 years older than him and treat him as an equal. It also showed him playing chess and battleship with his dad and talking about some of his passions and showing off his Sudoku puzzles. It all sounds like what other people have submitted.

He's already had one grade skip and still isn't even close grade wise to where he is academically. He has no real peers (our main reason for submitting).

I'm just really confused and annoyed right now. I was expecting "we need more info" not a "no". I just don't understand how what we submitted is a no...

Any suggestions of what to do now?
Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:22 AM
I believe that in the current requirements, they simply do need at least one set of standardized scores. It seems that the general policy is to not accept anyone without at least one set of scores. Even very strong portfolios seem to require that.

I would look into ways of getting one of the tests done for cheap. Some people have had good luck through local universities; perhaps getting a student to do the tests. It is not ideal, but it might be an option to consider.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:40 AM
The thing is I ASKED them before I submitted and they told me to submit with just a portfolio! It even says as much on thier submission page. That's what really bugs me...

I've looked around for testing and no luck at all. Can't even get a lead to find a lead to find a place to test. Not only that, but I just don't have the foggiest idea how we would be able to afford even what people consider "cheap" testing at this point.

I do have one really left field, fingers crossed, if pigs fly option, but... well... it really is as iffy as I'm making it sound. It involves a lot of beaurocracy and red tape cutting and rules bending and a pile of luck on top of that.
Posted By: CAMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:44 AM
Wyldkat- what kind of testing is happening at school? I would ask Davidson if they would consider looking at state standardized tests and tell you whether or not it'd be worth it to find a way to pay for IQ testing.

You also may want to try a college education department near you. Ours only charges $50 for achievement and $75 for IQ testing. It's given by psychology students but it's better than nothing. The report is certified by the professor teaching the class so it's "real" data.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:53 AM
I've tried talking to the university and was basically told off for even wanting to test him! Couldn't even find out if it was available, but managed to find out it wasn't available through the undergraduate program. We've been down a rough path with this...

They won't test him through the school for GATE till the end of 2nd grade/sometime in 3rd and then ONLY if they actually have the funding to do a GATE program the next year... which they don't. Our wild card option is woman who heard about Wolf, has worked in areas where there actually is gifted funding and now works in our district. She knows how to test gifties and wants to test him, BUT she has to get approval from the district and... well... I have very little faith in school districts doing anything sensible anymore.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 05:54 AM
Hmmm...If they'd accept the STAR test I could probably get him tested "unofficially" with the 2nd graders... We don't have 1st grade standardized tests.
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 02:56 PM
I'm sorry for those who didn't get accepted. In Jewels and Jules case they may just want something more recent. Hard to tell.

Wyldkat, to be honest I don't recall anybody who got in with portfolio only. May be Dottie knows somebody. If money is an issue you may need to wait till he is in the 3rd grade and do Explore as that's a cheap option.

She knows how to test gifties and wants to test him, BUT she has to get approval from the district and... well... I have very little faith in school districts doing anything sensible anymore.

Could you tell them that you would like to get your son to DYS and how great it would be for the school to receive gifted support from DITD?
Posted By: CAMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 04:12 PM
Ahh- Wyldkat you must have played the gifted card with the University :-) You have to play the "My teacher believes my child has some attention issues" card instead. If you call the educational psychology department, they are supposed to be training them to test kids as young as 3- for all kinds of deficits. But if you ask them about gifted, you get a much different answer!
Posted By: MES Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 04:48 PM
I'll pledge $20 toward a testing fund for this child. Don't know if it's appropriate, but anyone else?
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/13/10 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by MES
I'll pledge $20 toward a testing fund for this child. Don't know if it's appropriate, but anyone else?

Us too. Set up a paypal account and I am sure the money will come together fast.

At a local university I had IQ testing does for $150, that's not so bad.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/14/10 03:03 AM
Check with your local university right now (it is spring, and the professors are looking for test subjects) and many grad students need to meet a certain quota on IQ tests to pass their class. I know our local State University is currently offering FREE IQ assesments.

Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 06:36 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I can't explain how much all this support has touched me. The whole process for school and everything has been such a struggle with so little understanding it is SO wonderful to have all of you.

I hadn't thought about HOW I addressed the school being an issue. I found out about undergrads not getting any training in it from an undergrad. Everyone else I talked to blew me off. I'll have to try it again from a different angle.

The issue with early testing through the school district is that I was informed basically "NO testing before end of 2nd/sometime in 3rd and for GATE only." The lady who wants to test him is really going to be using a red hot poker on the system... Also we have an interdistrict transfer that I do NOT want to lose and squeaky wheels might get the grease, but they also tend to not get renewed... I'm walking a really thin edge with the early testing through the district from what I understand anyway.

I'll keep everyone updated with the search for a tester. smile

Also if they really won't accept without a score they need to take it off the site and stop telling people to take advantage of that option... It's a bit messed up not to, IMO.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 12:35 PM
Wyldkat - I sorry this is so hard. I just want to wish you luck. I feel for you. Don't give up. You will find a way to help him.
Posted By: LMom Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wyldkat
Also if they really won't accept without a score they need to take it off the site and stop telling people to take advantage of that option... It's a bit messed up not to, IMO.

Not to offend, but they do say that you need at least one test to apply. As far as I know this requirement has been true for at least 2.5 years probably much longer.

If you look at the page 5 of the application it clearly states
Please submit at least two of the following three options as evidence of intellectual precocity.

OPTIONS
IQ Testing:

AND/OR
Achievement Testing:

AND/OR
Work Samples:

Posted By: HannahZ Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 02:23 PM
It may say that on page five, but the very first paragraph on their website homepage ends with the sentence:
"If you cannot access testing due to financial constraints, you may submit a portfolio of work samples in place of testing. "

ITA with Wyldkat.

We also submitted WISC 3 scores together with SAT scores (well above the cutoff CR as well as Q), but our WISC 3 was not acceptable (even with 2 19s, 2 18's and 1 17 in the verbal). They seem to be sticklers about wanting WISC 4 and not WISC 3. Our SAT was within the 2 year time limit, so if they had accepted the WISC 3 in place of WISC 4 that would have gotten ds accepted. My dh (who has taught college level statistics) wonders if they did not take ds because of rigid adherence to their "rule" (demanding only WISC 4, not earlier version), or if alternatively, they think a child who scores (at age 9 1/2) the verbal subtest scores above is likely to fall below their cutoff on the WISC 4. We were told to submit a portfolio (and given 6 months to do so). We have not decided whether or how to proceed.

It's a shame, I suspect none of these tests were really designed to tease apart these different populations, "profoundly" as opposed to "exceptionally" or even plain-old "highly" gifted. On some level I wonder if we are all wasting our time with such distinctions anyway. Once a child is above a point where he/she has trouble finding intellectual peers, isn't that enough, and who needs a label?
Posted By: Floridama Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 03:04 PM
Please submit at least two of the following three options as evidence of intellectual precocity.

This sentence is why I did not submit. I have an IQ test but it is not one on their list, so I have been reluctant to send in and now I am even more reluctant.

I figured I would just wait till 5th grade when she can take the Explore through Duke TIP. I only wish we could do it sooner.

Posted By: Mam Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by HannahZ
It may say that on page five, but the very first paragraph on their website homepage ends with the sentence:
"If you cannot access testing due to financial constraints, you may submit a portfolio of work samples in place of testing. "

But I do interpret those 2 together; the sentence above as talking about ONE of the 2 tests; as they clearly ask for 2 items altogether.

I really hope Wyldkat that you can get this person to test or someone else.

HannahZ, same for you. Are you looking into portfolio ideas? That may be hard, looking for a WISC or SB test would make it much easier.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/15/10 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Floridama

This sentence is why I did not submit. I have an IQ test but it is not one on their list, so I have been reluctant to send in and now I am even more reluctant.

I figured I would just wait till 5th grade when she can take the Explore through Duke TIP. I only wish we could do it sooner.

My DS took the Explore this year through the NUMATS (Northwestern U., in Chicago) talent search, and he's 8. Do you have to wait until 5th grade? Are you sure?
Posted By: Mark D. Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/16/10 11:06 PM
Hello - I notified our Applications Manager of this thread and she passed the following message along:

We understand there have been some questions about the application process for the Young Scholars program. We are very open to talking with parents and would much rather clear up any confusion or concerns than let misunderstandings linger; we don�t want parents to feel discouraged by the application process. As stated in correspondence with applicant families, they are encouraged to contact us directly to discuss or learn more about our decision regarding their child�s application. Each application is unique and considered on an individual basis, and there are several instances in which we ask families for additional information in order to determine eligibility. For that reason, we prefer talking with each applicant family directly in regards to what we are looking for and the reasoning behind our decision. The DYS application process is not meant to be mysterious and we recognize it can seem a little daunting, so families who have applied or just have questions about the program or application are welcome to call us (775.852.3483 x 435) or email us (DavidsonScholars@davidsongifted.org) anytime!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/17/10 04:24 AM
Thanks, Mark!
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Anyone submitting to DYS in February? - 03/18/10 06:29 AM
I have emailed them and gotten no response as of yet. It has only been about four or five days though. I mentioned that I emailed them in one of my posts...

I posted about it here for the support and suggestions I knew I would get.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum