Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
    LMom,

I signed DS up for SCATand haven't received anything confiming other than a confirmation on my credit card. I've called several times but they are still closed due to weather.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    B
    B
    We were thinking of applying for DYS via fax today for our DS8 and DD5. We have IQ and Achievement scores for both kids, but I'm wondering; are they enough? My DD's WPPSI full-scale score was only 147, though she hit ceilings in 5 of the 9 subtests. I think it's still okay, since her verbal score was well over >99.9%, but does anyone else have any thoughts? Her Achievement scores were only 97% math, 98% reading, oral language 99%, listening comprehension>99.9%, oral language composite >99.9%. She has two strong recommendations from her preschool teachers and recs from both testing psychologists. Ideas?

Hi BellevueMomof2 - Go ahead and apply! The minimum qualifications are still "qualifications." If they want additional information, they will ask you. Good luck!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 02/12/10 12:54 PM.
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    BellevueMom. What achievement testing did your dd do? Do you have any portfolio items that you could include to boost her application?

Worst case scenario, they ask you to submit extra information, and you could do that the following month.

OP Offline
    Well, FedEx did their job and got the application to Reno by 9:30 am this morning. I didn't even have to log on to track the package online this morning; I went to the laptop at noon, and saw an email from DYS syaing they had a complete application for DD.

Ok, passing more wine and chocolate around!

I think I will need more wine and chocolate not because of DYS but SCAT.

Let me see JHU was closed the entire week due to snow. Monday is President's Day and there is a new snowstorm coming on Tuesday! Something tells me that once the people finally make it to the office (in March, perhaps) my son's scores won't be their highest priority.

Pass the wine, please.

LMom
    A
    A
    I finally did it. After YEARS of procrastination. Horrible right? I have started the application at least once a year since he was 5, now he's 8. I am SO intimidated by having to write the answers frown I hope they don't hold that against my son if my answers are short or not exactly what they look for. I don't know - I didn't want to gush about the wonderfulness of DS and at the same time I had trouble coming up with isolated examples to write about. I didn't have any other kids around to compare him to developmentaly. Is it unusual for a kid's first words to include trapezoid? (lol now, not back then!) *stress* But - his scores are high and I hope that has more weight than my lousy essay writing! frown

BUT the good news is I got the email, they have recieved it and it's complete! I hope to hear back soon, sooo nervous. Are you all stressing over this like me?

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Good for you JoAnna! I tried to (with relative success) to not stress about it for the first couple of weeks. I figured I'd start checking my email more frequently than usual not earlier than the beginning of the next month.

Well, for various reasons (reading, editing, rereading, snowdays, etc.) I did not make the 2/14 application deadline for this month. frown

However, it is out of my hands and on its way to DITD as of yesterday. Big relief...for now!

Unfortunately, we are approaching "tuition deposit time" for the next school year, and we are really wishing we had the benefit of expert advice in our deliberations.

A
    A
    hangin' in there...waiting, waiting, waiting! Boy, this has been a long week!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM