Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    I believe that in the current requirements, they simply do need at least one set of standardized scores. It seems that the general policy is to not accept anyone without at least one set of scores. Even very strong portfolios seem to require that.

I would look into ways of getting one of the tests done for cheap. Some people have had good luck through local universities; perhaps getting a student to do the tests. It is not ideal, but it might be an option to consider.

W
    W
    The thing is I ASKED them before I submitted and they told me to submit with just a portfolio! It even says as much on thier submission page. That's what really bugs me...

I've looked around for testing and no luck at all. Can't even get a lead to find a lead to find a place to test. Not only that, but I just don't have the foggiest idea how we would be able to afford even what people consider "cheap" testing at this point.

I do have one really left field, fingers crossed, if pigs fly option, but... well... it really is as iffy as I'm making it sound. It involves a lot of beaurocracy and red tape cutting and rules bending and a pile of luck on top of that.

C
    C
    Wyldkat- what kind of testing is happening at school? I would ask Davidson if they would consider looking at state standardized tests and tell you whether or not it'd be worth it to find a way to pay for IQ testing.

You also may want to try a college education department near you. Ours only charges $50 for achievement and $75 for IQ testing. It's given by psychology students but it's better than nothing. The report is certified by the professor teaching the class so it's "real" data.

W
    W
    I've tried talking to the university and was basically told off for even wanting to test him! Couldn't even find out if it was available, but managed to find out it wasn't available through the undergraduate program. We've been down a rough path with this...

They won't test him through the school for GATE till the end of 2nd grade/sometime in 3rd and then ONLY if they actually have the funding to do a GATE program the next year... which they don't. Our wild card option is woman who heard about Wolf, has worked in areas where there actually is gifted funding and now works in our district. She knows how to test gifties and wants to test him, BUT she has to get approval from the district and... well... I have very little faith in school districts doing anything sensible anymore.

W
    W
    Hmmm...If they'd accept the STAR test I could probably get him tested "unofficially" with the 2nd graders... We don't have 1st grade standardized tests.

I'm sorry for those who didn't get accepted. In Jewels and Jules case they may just want something more recent. Hard to tell.

Wyldkat, to be honest I don't recall anybody who got in with portfolio only. May be Dottie knows somebody. If money is an issue you may need to wait till he is in the 3rd grade and do Explore as that's a cheap option.

She knows how to test gifties and wants to test him, BUT she has to get approval from the district and... well... I have very little faith in school districts doing anything sensible anymore.

Could you tell them that you would like to get your son to DYS and how great it would be for the school to receive gifted support from DITD?

LMom
    C
    C
    Ahh- Wyldkat you must have played the gifted card with the University :-) You have to play the "My teacher believes my child has some attention issues" card instead. If you call the educational psychology department, they are supposed to be training them to test kids as young as 3- for all kinds of deficits. But if you ask them about gifted, you get a much different answer!

M
    MES Offline
    M
    I'll pledge $20 toward a testing fund for this child. Don't know if it's appropriate, but anyone else?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by MES
    I'll pledge $20 toward a testing fund for this child. Don't know if it's appropriate, but anyone else?

Us too. Set up a paypal account and I am sure the money will come together fast.

At a local university I had IQ testing does for $150, that's not so bad.

OP Offline
    Check with your local university right now (it is spring, and the professors are looking for test subjects) and many grad students need to meet a certain quota on IQ tests to pass their class. I know our local State University is currently offering FREE IQ assesments.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM