Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
    W
    W
    Thanks so much everyone. I can't explain how much all this support has touched me. The whole process for school and everything has been such a struggle with so little understanding it is SO wonderful to have all of you.

I hadn't thought about HOW I addressed the school being an issue. I found out about undergrads not getting any training in it from an undergrad. Everyone else I talked to blew me off. I'll have to try it again from a different angle.

The issue with early testing through the school district is that I was informed basically "NO testing before end of 2nd/sometime in 3rd and for GATE only." The lady who wants to test him is really going to be using a red hot poker on the system... Also we have an interdistrict transfer that I do NOT want to lose and squeaky wheels might get the grease, but they also tend to not get renewed... I'm walking a really thin edge with the early testing through the district from what I understand anyway.

I'll keep everyone updated with the search for a tester. smile

Also if they really won't accept without a score they need to take it off the site and stop telling people to take advantage of that option... It's a bit messed up not to, IMO.

O
    O
    Wyldkat - I sorry this is so hard. I just want to wish you luck. I feel for you. Don't give up. You will find a way to help him.

Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Also if they really won't accept without a score they need to take it off the site and stop telling people to take advantage of that option... It's a bit messed up not to, IMO.

Not to offend, but they do say that you need at least one test to apply. As far as I know this requirement has been true for at least 2.5 years probably much longer.

If you look at the page 5 of the application it clearly states
    Please submit at least two of the following three options as evidence of intellectual precocity.

OPTIONS
    IQ Testing:

AND/OR
    Achievement Testing:

AND/OR
    Work Samples:

LMom
    H
    H
    It may say that on page five, but the very first paragraph on their website homepage ends with the sentence:
    "If you cannot access testing due to financial constraints, you may submit a portfolio of work samples in place of testing. "

ITA with Wyldkat.

We also submitted WISC 3 scores together with SAT scores (well above the cutoff CR as well as Q), but our WISC 3 was not acceptable (even with 2 19s, 2 18's and 1 17 in the verbal). They seem to be sticklers about wanting WISC 4 and not WISC 3. Our SAT was within the 2 year time limit, so if they had accepted the WISC 3 in place of WISC 4 that would have gotten ds accepted. My dh (who has taught college level statistics) wonders if they did not take ds because of rigid adherence to their "rule" (demanding only WISC 4, not earlier version), or if alternatively, they think a child who scores (at age 9 1/2) the verbal subtest scores above is likely to fall below their cutoff on the WISC 4. We were told to submit a portfolio (and given 6 months to do so). We have not decided whether or how to proceed.

It's a shame, I suspect none of these tests were really designed to tease apart these different populations, "profoundly" as opposed to "exceptionally" or even plain-old "highly" gifted. On some level I wonder if we are all wasting our time with such distinctions anyway. Once a child is above a point where he/she has trouble finding intellectual peers, isn't that enough, and who needs a label?

F
    F
    Please submit at least two of the following three options as evidence of intellectual precocity.

This sentence is why I did not submit. I have an IQ test but it is not one on their list, so I have been reluctant to send in and now I am even more reluctant.

I figured I would just wait till 5th grade when she can take the Explore through Duke TIP. I only wish we could do it sooner.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by HannahZ
    It may say that on page five, but the very first paragraph on their website homepage ends with the sentence:
    "If you cannot access testing due to financial constraints, you may submit a portfolio of work samples in place of testing. "

But I do interpret those 2 together; the sentence above as talking about ONE of the 2 tests; as they clearly ask for 2 items altogether.

I really hope Wyldkat that you can get this person to test or someone else.

HannahZ, same for you. Are you looking into portfolio ideas? That may be hard, looking for a WISC or SB test would make it much easier.

Originally Posted by Floridama

This sentence is why I did not submit. I have an IQ test but it is not one on their list, so I have been reluctant to send in and now I am even more reluctant.

I figured I would just wait till 5th grade when she can take the Explore through Duke TIP. I only wish we could do it sooner.

My DS took the Explore this year through the NUMATS (Northwestern U., in Chicago) talent search, and he's 8. Do you have to wait until 5th grade? Are you sure?

Kriston
    M
    M
    Hello - I notified our Applications Manager of this thread and she passed the following message along:

We understand there have been some questions about the application process for the Young Scholars program. We are very open to talking with parents and would much rather clear up any confusion or concerns than let misunderstandings linger; we don�t want parents to feel discouraged by the application process. As stated in correspondence with applicant families, they are encouraged to contact us directly to discuss or learn more about our decision regarding their child�s application. Each application is unique and considered on an individual basis, and there are several instances in which we ask families for additional information in order to determine eligibility. For that reason, we prefer talking with each applicant family directly in regards to what we are looking for and the reasoning behind our decision. The DYS application process is not meant to be mysterious and we recognize it can seem a little daunting, so families who have applied or just have questions about the program or application are welcome to call us (775.852.3483 x 435) or email us (DavidsonScholars@davidsongifted.org) anytime!

Thanks, Mark!

Kriston
    W
    W
    I have emailed them and gotten no response as of yet. It has only been about four or five days though. I mentioned that I emailed them in one of my posts...

I posted about it here for the support and suggestions I knew I would get.

Last edited by Wyldkat; 03/18/10 12:01 AM.
    Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM