Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 271 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    [/quote]That's interesting - but isn't it the case that what was insulting was not being asked for quiet, exactly, but rather realising that your speech had been timed rather than listened to? We all have different things that strike us as unacceptable things to do to children and it's often to do with what was done to us.[quote]

Wow, I never thought of it that way. What sticks out is sitting there always dying about to burst, can I talk, can I talk. So I let him talk, with the occasional tune out - but you are so right about how our parents and experiences as a child influence us today. I especially notice that in terms of wanting to zme sure his school setting is appropriate. I was SOOOOOO bored!

DeHe

C
    C
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    you are so right about how our parents and experiences as a child influence us today. I especially notice that in terms of wanting to zme sure his school setting is appropriate. I was SOOOOOO bored!
    *Exactly*, yes, me too. I know that there are other bad outcomes (bullying following acceleration in an environment unfriendly to it, for example) which objectively must be at least as bad, but they have much less salience to me. I still feel the panic rising in me when I even think about that boredom and isolation (and have PTSD in boring half-day training courses!) Elsewhere on the net I have a friend whose situation is not very different from mine with DS, but who is handling it altogether differently - her bad experiences as a child were very different from mine, and the things we instinctually want to avoid at all costs for our children are almsot opposite. It's very thought-provoking: I'm trying to approach decisions for DS rationally, but the emotions attached to the bad outcomes I actually experienced do make it hard not to over-weight those particular ones.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...