Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Srry NoNo - maybe I'm misremembering ((shrug))

I don't have Ruf's book in front of me, nor all of TT's posts - here's an early one:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....level_does_this_sound_lik.html#Post62742

I think might be misremembering that TT's DD was 'reading-reading' as a young 2 year old. I think this is unusual amoung DYS. I don't think it's the only criteria for giftedness. My son read at age 6, so maybe it overly impresses me.

But more than the milestones, it's the quality of memory from that thread, that makes me think this little one is a solid 3, or more. DYS is by no means soley populated with 5s. Anyway, I'm not sitting there with the book and a highlighter, sadly, that's TT's job, and yours too.

Funny story: I read 'Genius Denied' while trying to figure out what was up with my little one. I was looking for any excuse to deny giftedness. I read the story about the boy who nibbled cheese into the shapes of US states at age 2. I breathed a sigh of relief - my son certianly never did that! So I decided that my son must not be more than 'regular gifted.' Logical? Not really. A few years later we got the test scores and applied to YSP. And I laughed at myself.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    N
    N
    LOL. No problem, Grinity. I just read that and sort of flipped out a bit. I don't think I'm in gifted denial, but I'm perfectly happy with my current perception of DD as being maybe at a lower DYS level (and a level 4 according to Ruf). smile

Okay I have never read the "Genius Denied"...but the reference to the little boy nibbling cheese made me smile!!! My daughter used to nibble nearly everything into states! LOVE IT! smile

T
    OP Offline
    T
    hey everyone! I was thinking it is the early reading that tends to over impress people, even people with gifted kids, and that is why Grinty assumed she was so high in her LOG. It is probably my fault for saying she was reading at two when really,she was starting at two but was really reading as the year progressed. She was reading easy readers mid to late 2, and only doing sight reading at early to mid two if I remember it all correctly. I have videos of her putting letters on the fridge and changing words from things like mad-dad-bad when she was two something, but that is as specific as I can be at the moment. I know she was trying to sound things out really really early but I can't remember exactly when. She did know letter sounds well before two but that doesn't impress me because my two year old did the same thing so I guess I think that is typical.

There are other things in RUFs LOG that she didn't do at a freakishly early time so she is all over the place so it will be interesting to see what happens long term! It is weird how one can sometimes be comforted when they have traits in the lower LOG. I also know how some of you feel though when you are comforted by hearing about another child who did something way beyond your own. It makes things seem more normal in your home. I actually feel relief hearing about children more advanced. I am not even comfortable assuming she will be gifted let along REALLY gifted yet!

F
    F
    When my oldest was in pre-school I knew nothing about gifted. We started in a Waldorfish preschool and that was a total failure for her. I moved her to a Montossori school.... Looking back on it, it really did not work for her. She tolerated it. She complained about going and then when she was there if I snuck a peek she seemed happy enough. The same thing happened in elementary school. In fourth grade I moved her into a school and class that was mostly gifted. She changed and I got to see what she looked like when she was genuinely happy in school and it felt really different. I don't know if that helps or not....

A
    A
    Hey girl....It is good to "see" you again. I agree with Gritney about asking to have her moved into the older class for a trial. It is so hard to know what will work, but try can't hurt and might do a world of good. I know our DD's are very similar, and I don't think they will peter out so to speak. I am not sure with your DD, but Ansley firmly fits in level 4, and I know from your posts that our DD's are very similar. Have you had an opportunity to assess where your DD is grade level wise. I am lucky with my mom working at a school, but DD was given the DORA...which is a reading assesment exam, as well as a math exam that I know many schools use... although I believe it is avialable for homeschool use as well. Anyway, it was very eye opening for me as I found that DD at 3.2 is reading on 1st grade 9 month level...with subtests in the high 2nd grade level...and math at a low first grade level. Anyway, I knew that she was going to need more, but the thought now of her in Kinadergarten a little over 2 years from now is just frightening. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks, that actually does help because it sounds somewhat similar. My biggest concern right now in preschool and down the line in kindergarten is that her intense energy, her love of challenging authority, and her desire to lead, will cause problems in her classrooms as they start to do more formal learning that contains things she did years ago and she is annoyed by it.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi "Amazed"

Nice to "see" you too. Are you planning on home schooling? What is your DD interested in these days? I love hearing about her and miss reading your posts :-)

My DD is somewhat hard for me to assess because she only wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it, so if I ask her something, she might not want to "play" that game, but she clearly is beyond kindergarten, but I don't know how far beyond in what subjects.

My DD told me that this observing teacher had her read words, try to read the clock, do some math, skip count, draw pictures, spell kid's names in the air etc, but when I spoke to the teacher, she didn't tell me a thing about this and didn't say she did any particular test and for some reason, I didn't ask her about it. I almost think she just wanted to see if the rumors were true and she did these things.

I am unfamiliar with the Dora. I tried to find vocabulary lists of first grade words and they seemed like very, very easy words so I am assuming her vocabulary for reading and understanding is quite a bit beyond that but I don't really know where to find any sort of testing instrument to see where she falls.

The strangest thing to me when searching online is bumping into all these tools that seem to complicate something so simple. There are all these flashcards, and lessons, and online games to teach something that just comes naturally for her and did for me. I honestly worry what school will be like if they break things down in that way and expect her not to lose her mind just a little bit...

A
    A
    Yeah, for now we are going to homeschool. Not sure if we will for good but I don't really feel like we have many options here. We live I'm a pretty small rural area and there is not a gifted program and unfortunatly most of the kids here do enter k without knowing the alphabet much less how to read.

The Dora assessment stands for diagnostic online reading assessment. It is for k- 12. I will ask my mom for the website cause I know they have something parents can pay to acsess it for one child. I'll pm you it.

I hear you about how dd seems to just learn things so easily and does not need all the teaching tools. The other day she started counting by 5s which I knew I had never told her how. When asked she responded "I heard you doing it when you were rolling coins." she just picks things up. Which I worrry about school to.

She is still really into space, human body,really anything science. She's been working through a 1 st grade science workbook and it is supper easy. She us also really really into writing notes snd stories. Although for some of her longer stories I have her dictate them to ne cause she can go more smoothly. The stories are hysterical.

It's really funny because my new neighbor who is moving in is a k teacher and she said after spending time with dd that she would right now at 3.2 be the top student in her class. And she asked me "what are you going to do about k?" I told het homeschool and she said "oh thank god. That's the best thing you could do for her. There is no way I could differentate enough in a class for her on the level she is now much less where she will be in 2 years" I thought this was pretty interesting comment comminb from someone who knows the k curriculum here. Anyway, I am lucky cause we have this option. Anyway, getting my hair done as I type this snd got to go lol... But I will get that info and pm u.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Amanda. My DD also has always loved science. What is the name of the workbook your DD is using? Its too bad you weren't located somewhere where you had more options. Right now I plan on having her to go public kindergarten after her next year of preschool, but if the things she is doing after the end of preschool next year are simply so far ahead it would be strange, I will reconsider. I would consider homeschooling but she is so extroverted and so intense that I honestly need a couple hours here and there just to catch my breath esp. since she has a little sister who is also a live wire. My DD also doesn't want to learn from me directly at this point which really saddens me because I worked in education myself at some point (but know very little about early education / testing). I'd love to hear what resources you are using so we can try new things. Enjoy your little dynamo.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM