Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    1. said words like "tweezers" "kicking" "water" at nine or ten months and 25 words before 12 months.
    2. Knew letter sounds, upper and lower case letters, etc. at a little over a year and a half
    3. knew colors and shapes even ones like octogon and trapezoid well before second birthday and did one to one counting just after second birthday:could look at things and say "two swings" before second birthday etc.
    4. was doing 24-36 piece puzzles early, but can't remember when. Has excellent sense of direction.
    5. could rhyme and read over 100 sight words at two, and started to read; you could write red and change r to b and she would read bed etc. She spelled out words like "out" on the bathroom wall at two and was using five syllable words.
    6. now at three she is reading and sounding out words, making up songs and stories and her drawing / coloring / sculpting seems way ahead of kids, can say any word you ask her, has a terrifying memory and always has.

Is a little behind in gross motor, but has great fine motor skills. It very emotional, intense, hyper, and extroverted.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/02/09 01:47 PM.
    E
    E
    maybe a 4?

what does your gut tell you?

are you wondering about school placement?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks for your response. Sorry, I forgot to say that she is only three and a half now: I took her for an evaluation wondering if she had ADHD and they gave her an IQ test. I seriously thought she was too young and she actually did fine, but I know she could do better. They kept saying how great she did--she did have one subtest in the 99th percentile but her overall was "only" in the 97th, which didn't sound quite right to me. My gut tells me it is higher, but I could be wrong so I was wondering what it sounded like to an outsider. I just didn't know if I should just accept where it is now or think about retesting at some point in case it is much higher and we will need to do something as soon as kindergarten. If it is an accurate portrait, in a way that is easier since she could just go along with the pack and just find school very easy.

I forgot to add how terrifying her memory is for anything. She can repeat dialogue for a two hour movie without seeing the pictures, memorizes long songs so fast, and on and on and on. She remembers details like the color of someone's shoes a year ago. She can tell you there is a holly plant, there is a turkey's snood, there is a dogface butterfuly, that's a poppy, and so on and she may only have heard these things once in passing but things stick. She uses complex sentence structure and uses up to five syllable words.

She was very cooperative for the test and had a great attitude, but she got some things wrong because she said too much: example: tester: "where does milk come from?" Her: "mommies, whales, mammals..." they wanted cow for some weird reason she wouldn't say cow though she knew that milk comes from cows. I am not sure when and if to retest and what would be gained by that at this point. I just don't think regular kindergarten is going to be right.

She has two more years before kindergarten and can already do a fair amount of first grade work. She is at a play based preschool for socilization twice a week for a few hours, but I am not sure what to do next year for preschool or for kindergarten. This year they are doing things she knew at one. I think she is verbally way up there, a 4, but her math abilities might be lower.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/02/09 04:00 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    She was very cooperative for the test and had a great attitude, but she got some things wrong because she said too much: example: tester: "where does milk come from?" Her: "mommies, whales, mammals..." they wanted cow for some weird reason she wouldn't say cow though she knew that milk comes from cows. I am not sure when and if to retest and what would be gained by that at this point. I just don't think regular kindergarten is going to be right.

Mine said "a mama polar bear" and got it wrong!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    that makes me feel so much better LOL did she do other things like that? did you feel that your daughter showed her talents during the test?

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/02/09 04:06 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    that makes me feel so much better LOL did she do other things like that? did you feel that your daughter showed her talents during the test?

Nope!

She cut her mouth open on a box right before taking the test, literally as our friend was pulling into our driveway. Blood everywhere too!

Then she answered stuff wrong that I knew she knew. And she fizzled out and stopped answering because she "just didn't want to have to tell him anything anymore." Oh brother!

And she didn't do that great on the puzzle portion because he had the box open next to her and instead of putting a puzzle together and getting the next one, she just wanted to see one after another without putting them together.

Last edited by MamaJA; 12/02/09 04:11 PM.
    A
    A
    I would say a 4. DD appears to me to be firmly a level 4. She was doing many of the same things your DD was doing, and OMG I hear you on the memory. DD can talks about stuff that happened a year and a half ago, things from when we lived in SC which was before she was 18 months. She will just bring things up out of the blue.

You know I would really take the testing with a grain of salt. I actually am not sure my DD would test well, especially now or even in the next few years. She will give the wrong answer or say she doesn't know someting if she is not in the mood. Also she gives Answers like your DD did, that are technically right but would be counted wrong.

For example....today I asked her "where can a person go to see ots of different types of animals all together?" Of course I was thinking Zoo. Her answer "Africa. A pereson can see lots of different animals in Africa" Ummm yes she is right....but if asked something like tat on an IQ test she would get it wrong.

I firmly believe in going with your gut, and have even read about Dr. Ruf saying this before. Also, from your other post your DD seems to be working well above grade level/age level...which I think definitly shows upper level.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    L
    L
    Hi,

What levels are you all talking about? Thanks.

E
    E
    welcome!

Ruf's levels. http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_levels_giftedness.php

also check the archives of this board

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM