Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    I know you are all adults here and easily understand what the correct answer to the question about "why are streets numbered in order?" is but a good answer would be something like:

Streets are numbered in order so that one could tell how far they are from each other just from their names which one can't do if they are numbered randomly. In sum, they are numbered in order for people's convenience.

Why should one keep away from bad company?
    One should keep away from bad company because he might get undeservingly accused of wrongdoing if the bad company does something bad just because he is associated with them, although he is completely innocent and uninvolved in their immoral or illicit activities.

Why do we keep money in a bank?
    We keep money in a bank because there they accrue interest while keeping them at home doesn't increase their amount. Also, money may get lost at home while it is very unlikely to get lost in a bank.

Why do we have laws?
    We have laws so as to prevent people from doing harm to themselves or others. Since laws demand behavior that's beneficial to society and mandate consequences for violations, people have a strong dissentive to violate them and thus laws serve to prevent people from causing harm to others.

Last edited by asiral; 03/11/10 12:32 PM.
    N
    N
    My dd6 also had a 13 in the Comprehension subset (her FSIQ was 140 with extended norms)... the psychologist did not take note of it at all!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    You think I'm over-functioning? Why don't we send this child to your house for the weekend, and see how YOU do.
    Yeah, what Grinity said!! I think this struck such a nerve because the remark implies dysfunctional parenting when, with gifties, it's more often a case of high functioning parents. Not that we're necessarily such great parents by nature but the demands of dealing with these children requires us to step up to the challenge.

I wonder if the "diagnosis" was made based upon a separate screening test? It seems very odd to make that claim based upon these scores.

Also, PLEASE don't share test questions here!

Ultimately YOU know your child best. Don't accept a diagnosis that doesn't fit what you see everyday.

OP Offline
    Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your responses - they have really helped me feel better (getting home from my travels and seeing my kids helped too smile ). I did a ton of searching on the internet last night and was unable to find anything that related the comprehension score to "over-functioning parenting" (or really much at all about "over-functioning parenting).

We will definitely do as advised and speak to the tester to try to clarify the responses. My DS seems fine with older kids - he is pretty much fine with kids of all ages and his teacher has said he is a class leader, so I am not really concerned with the social issues (just panicked by the numbers I think - but when I think about it there really shouldn't be a concern).

Dottie, we will be doing full achievement testing once we meet with the school to see what (if any) sorts of tests they are willing to look at and consider for subject acc. etc.

As for DYS, it would def. be nice to have the help of a consultant, etc. but I can't imagine asking them to recalculate it - heh. And you know, honestly, I think the help I find on this board is so useful, it doesn't make much difference, it just makes me so grateful for everyone's assistance, and makes me think hats off to those of you parenting those really incredibly wild high scoring kids, because I have my hands full with this kiddo, and I can't imagine it being more intense (wow, that was some run-on sentence)!

Cat

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by asiral
    As for Picture Completion, fortunately it didn't factor into the full-scale. In this subtest, a child is shown a picture of a scene and asked "what's missing?". For example, a child may be shown a picture of a volleyball game where a net is missing and he has to identify that "what's missing is the net". Or he may be shown a clock which only has a long hand and no short hand and he has to say that "what's missing is the short hand". Poor environmental awareness, poor attention to detail and a degree of cognitive inflexibility may all cause a lower score. I took an adult version of this IQ test at age 20, and did absolutely atrociously on "Picture Completion", much lower than your DS--it was my lowest subtest. Unfortunately for me, it is a required subtest on WAIS III and factors into all composites.

Both my DH and I are pretty bad in this area as well - I once had a secretary who got really upset with me because she had completely redone her hair (cut, color, etc.) and she said, "so what do you think?" and I couldn't figure out what she had done differently smile

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by inky
    Here's a magazine article that equates over functioning parent to overindulging. I'd be looking for a pretty good explanation from the tester about why that was included in the report.
    http://www.overindulgence.info/Documents/Overindjulgent%20Parents,%20Under-Functioning%20Kids.pdf

Thanks so much for posting this. While we certainly fit maybe 10% of what is discussed (my DS is in 2nd grade and I do make sure he has done his homework and put it back in his backpack), none of the rest would apply, so it def helped put my mind at ease.

Originally Posted by Catalana
    And you know, honestly, I think the help I find on this board is so useful, it doesn't make much difference, it just makes me so grateful for everyone's assistance
    Cat

((beaming))
    I'm so glad you've found this board useful. I love all the care that we share here. I love that it's public. I love that we 'self-select' and don't have any credentials to be here. I love that this board exists.

Griniity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    Both my DH and I are pretty bad in this area as well - I once had a secretary who got really upset with me because she had completely redone her hair (cut, color, etc.) and she said, "so what do you think?" and I couldn't figure out what she had done differently smile

LOL! I'm with you there! If you get a chance to hear Josh Shane talk about 'Non-linear Thinkers' go listen. Lots of us Gifties experience the world as 'Forest' and miss some of the 'Trees.' It's part of what confuses us about our own intelligence: 'if we are so smart, then why did we walk around all day with our fly unzipped?'

I wish I had a nickel for every time we arrive at the vacation destination to see that my DH has a black shoe paired with a brown shoe.

((wink))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    'if we are so smart, then why did we walk around all day with our fly unzipped?'

I wish I had a nickel for every time we arrive at the vacation destination to see that my DH has a black shoe paired with a brown shoe.

((wink))
    Grinity

Oh yes! My husband has learned to compensate by double and triple checking when he packs. My DS has both the lack of attention to detail and some poor sensory processing (can't tell which finger is being touched, etc), so his shirt is always half tucked in, underwear hanging out or shirt tucked into underwear etc. I have to fix his clothes (oh no, now I am guilty of over-functioning parent syndrome wink ). I wore plaids and polka dots together well into my early teens - I just didn't notice they didn't go together until my older sister pointed it out (I was probably embarrassing her).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM