Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Determine one specific thing that is causing your child the most frustration and brainstorm ways to fix that one specific thing. Then go to the school and try to implement that one specific thing. Don't go broad here! Then step back, take some time, and see how that one change affects everything else.

Go out of the box with this. Example: If doing spelling homework is causing a major amount of stress, then tell his teacher that he will no longer do the spelling homework. He will only take the tests. Your child is not going to fail the third grade because he did not do his spelling homework. Maybe he won't get straight A's or get on the honor roll or some such thing, but what does that really matter at this stage? You have more power over the school than you probably realize.

I wish I had read this advice a few years ago! But I will try to keep it in mind (I should staple it to my head!) for the future. Thanks very much for the post.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Besides the emphasis that neither Davidson's in general, nor the FC in particular have a magic wand and can make it all better, there are a couple of things that are worth mentioning.

One thing that stuck with me from our first FC phone call was to ask Dd specific questions that can give a lot of information. For instance, ask her what she would change from her school day if she could change only one thing.

Also, the more concrete ideas you have, and the better grasp you have of what they can and cannot offer (see posts above), then the more productive that first phone call will be.

F
    F
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    More likely, your DYS consultant will help *you* to find ways to persuade the school to let your son do something different. But you'll be doing the heavy lifting of the advocacy.

Some schools get more compliant if they get a letter from DYS, since it is an outside entity that declares the child PG. That can help. It's harder for them to write you off as a crazy person whose child isn't THAT smart if someone else says he is.

Other schools get a letter and think they're at risk of being sued (though they aren't--not by DYS anyway). That fear--justified or not--can move things along sometimes.

But the advocacy will really be coming from you. DYS can offer support for you, but you'll be doing the work.

I agree with Kristen. Advocacy comes from you. You will need to get all the paper works and gather your thoughts together before you have the conference. DYS would give you a letter. This letter helps. When I brought up DYS to the teacher, I got a frantic phone call from her because she thought I was going to sue the school. It took me a while to calm her down. Our SST meeting was very calm. With all the IQ, Achievement and MAPs scores, and recommendations from the psychologist and DYS, DS got a grade skip.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    My boy is not liking school. He should be a teachers dream, self motivated. interested in everything, smart, participates. ...so I'm racing.

I thought the same way when my boy entered school. Then I realize some teachers hate to deal with this kind of kids because they need to work harder to satisfy the desires of learning for them.

Cindi
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs