Originally Posted by Kriston
More likely, your DYS consultant will help *you* to find ways to persuade the school to let your son do something different. But you'll be doing the heavy lifting of the advocacy.

Some schools get more compliant if they get a letter from DYS, since it is an outside entity that declares the child PG. That can help. It's harder for them to write you off as a crazy person whose child isn't THAT smart if someone else says he is.

Other schools get a letter and think they're at risk of being sued (though they aren't--not by DYS anyway). That fear--justified or not--can move things along sometimes.

But the advocacy will really be coming from you. DYS can offer support for you, but you'll be doing the work.

I agree with Kristen. Advocacy comes from you. You will need to get all the paper works and gather your thoughts together before you have the conference. DYS would give you a letter. This letter helps. When I brought up DYS to the teacher, I got a frantic phone call from her because she thought I was going to sue the school. It took me a while to calm her down. Our SST meeting was very calm. With all the IQ, Achievement and MAPs scores, and recommendations from the psychologist and DYS, DS got a grade skip.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
My boy is not liking school. He should be a teachers dream, self motivated. interested in everything, smart, participates. ...so I'm racing.

I thought the same way when my boy entered school. Then I realize some teachers hate to deal with this kind of kids because they need to work harder to satisfy the desires of learning for them.

Cindi