Originally Posted by onthegomom
I want DYS to back me up by helping to get the school to understand his needs and know it's ok for him to do something different.

More likely, your DYS consultant will help *you* to find ways to persuade the school to let your son do something different. But you'll be doing the heavy lifting of the advocacy.

Some schools get more compliant if they get a letter from DYS, since it is an outside entity that declares the child PG. That can help. It's harder for them to write you off as a crazy person whose child isn't THAT smart if someone else says he is.

Other schools get a letter and think they're at risk of being sued (though they aren't--not by DYS anyway). That fear--justified or not--can move things along sometimes.

But the advocacy will really be coming from you. DYS can offer support for you, but you'll be doing the work.

On that note, if you feel that you are under a real time crunch, then I think I'd say that charging on before you speak to your consultant might be best. At least setting up a meeting, since those sometimes take a while to arrange, might be smart, even if you arrange it for a time after you will have spoken to your consultant.

You might also contact the DYS office and explain your situation. They might be able to fast-track the process for you given your circumstances. It's worth a try.

Kriston