Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I actually agree with everyone for the most part. I am totally in support of gifted education, wish I had had more offered to me and am seeking out things for my DD. Remember I dropped out so it wasn't all rosy. I was actually just trying to calm my worries down after finding out how little there is available for my child in my state and know that even the minimum amount I will do will be much more than what I had, but that doesn't mean I don't want her to have amazing opportunites.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    ...school was merely a way of documenting my intelligence, rather than developing it.

I really like this. Mind if I borrow it? smile Your observations reminded me that I miss my undergrad liberal arts education. Specifically, I miss living in the land big ideas and thinking about discipline connectivity. Law school is a different animal.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Wyatt
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    ...school was merely a way of documenting my intelligence, rather than developing it.

I really like this. Mind if I borrow it? smile

Wish I could take credit for it! I read something along these lines in Carol Dweck's work, and it really hit home for me.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    I think things could have been better for me in school--I even dropped out of high school--but because the raw ability was there I will still able to go to the schools I selected and my lowest grade was an A- so even if my DD3 doesn't get special services etc. things may be just fine for her academically /socially;-)

Having the raw ability doesn't always mean a person will know how to fully utilize it. Looking back, I probably could have fallen into a 'gifted' category in school. There were no options for early graduation, despite taking AP classes, and having far more than enough credits to graduate. I was so tired of school, that my senior year I took the class that enabled me to leave early to go to work, just so I could get out of school (and not have to provide a note from my 'parents' grin)

I tried college, but hated it. I was ill-prepared, wasn't adept at actually studying, and wasn't really motivated to do even more schooling. Fortunately, I got in on the ground floor of a great job that I was able to really grow into - with hard work and no degree. I ended up working alongside and even leading some degreed folks. It was something I enjoyed and something that came naturally, so higher education wasn't an absolute necessity for me.

All that being said, I realize how truly fortunate I was that things fell into place, but I wouldn't wish it for my son. I want better for him - and by better, I mean helping him to realize that learning doesn't have to be miserable. (I love to learn, I just hate school.) Things may be just fine for my DS, only time will tell. However, if my situation is any indicator (and DS seems to have some of the same feelings about school that I now realize I did), it doesn't look good for him. I'm not so worried about him being in a great GT program as I am about making sure that the spark isn't extinguished.

I do understand what you're saying and I'm sure it's accurate for alot of people, but there may be just as many for which it won't prove true. Just my thoughts.

I wanted to add that I wasn't profoundly gifted and for those kids, they might NOT do well when given nothing. I do agree with you and for what it is worth, I am trying to find the best options for my daughter, but I was just trying to put it into perspective.

I realized what you were doing and I think we all have to take a step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture which is what you were doing. But this said ... I think your example shows differences in personality. You were/are a driven person who looked for goals and went for them. This is something that can't be taught but it is something that if given the chance in the early years, the gifted child might build the drive when given the opportunity instead of constantly living in a situation were mediocrity is acceptable.

Facts: The majority of those who make significant contributions to humanity are above average intelligence while the HG+ are high risk for dropping out, drugs, and suicide.

E
    E
    I was actually just trying to calm my worries down after finding out how little there is available for my child in my state and know that even the minimum amount I will do will be much more than what I had, but that doesn't mean I don't want her to have amazing opportunites.

Hi TwinkleToes -

I think you struck a nerve. wink

Just wanted to highlight (again) your reason for the original post. Sorry to hear that there is not much formally available in your state.

Hopefully, you will be able to piece together some workable solutions. This board is full of parents who have tried a lot of different options to find the right educational situation for their kids. you will have many great ideas to choose from as you start your advocacy journey. cheers!

M
    M
    "He is a delightful young man who challenges us all to consider different ways of assisting him to enjoy striving to work toward his potential level of giftedness".

I guess thats what its all about, nuturing the potential level of giftedness.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    That's heartbreaking and dare I say immoral.

I'm actually a little embarassed that I shared all this now. It was a little cathartic though.

Actually, I got into a lot of trouble at school for talking too much, skipping classes, etc. Fortunately,
    I was socially adept, popular, good at sports etc. so fit in for the most part. This all changed in high school. I started skipping school and dropped out and was probably seen as a little strange. I wrote, acted, painted, and had poetry published, became depressed, was plagued by the ills of the world, was overly sensitive, and no longer fit in at all. I did love to read and read and read and write and write and write and was driven from within in those areas even if I couldn't stand sitting through most classes.

It is amazing that decent schools would take me after all that, but my scores were so high, my writing strong, and teachers said things like "she has the most ability I have encountered in 30 years" (not bragging. I am actually mystified by that statement and imagine they are talking about someone else)so they let me in and it was easy even though I had basically skipped high school completely.

Is this a success story--yes or no? My entire educational life was a wasteland before college and my IQ was "only" hovering around 145 (If the testing was accurate. Other times testing had been done and I was never told the score). What about children MUCH brighter who were less extroverted on the surface and who had a harder time navigating the social waters at school?I do feel for those kids and parents.

College was a better experience both for undergrad and grad and I loved talking with my professors, but should I have had to wait that long to have a truly great discussion in an academic setting?

My goal on here is to find ways for my daughter(s) to have a better experience in school. Maybe they will be fine, but they are both blessed / cursed with plenty of spirit, high intelligence, and strong wills.

So, the more we discuss how things turned out "just fine" for me the more I realize that they were fairly dismal for a long, long time, and I still do not feel I used my gifts in a successful way, and I am hoping my children have a better experience.

Originally Posted by cym
    But research has also shown that PG & HG kids have a higher rate of depression, suicide, high school drop out, underachievement, substance abuse, etc.

Hey Cym,
    Do you have research references for this? I've heard the opposite, but in a vauge misty way.
    Smiles and Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    V
    To quote Simon and Garfunkle "When I think back on all that crap I learned in highschool, it's a wonder I can think at all"

I too was probably gifted but unidentified. it didn't help that I was one of the poorer, rougher kids. As I was preparing to graduate the counselor commented that they were surprized that i had the highest ACT/SAT scores of the 350 I graduated with. My grades definately reflected that.
    I think some school officials go back to their own past and judge by backgrounds not true potential.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM