Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Sorry if my post came off as snippy- I didn't intend to be hostile. I can see on re-reading that it could look that way.

Homeschoolers can interact with other kids at homeschool group events, on academic teams, playing sports, scouting, at a house of worship and all sorts of structured and unstructured activities. Institutional school is not the only way to skin that cat! grin

best wishes-

And often homeschooled kids get social situations tailored to stretch them in just the ways they need at just the time they need them. It's one of the benefits of an individualized education. smile

To anyone who is not homeschooling, it might help if you understand that "socialization" is called "The S-Word" by homeschoolers because that's the first thing everyone who isn't homeschooling asks us. As if we sit at home alone all day, every day... Um, no! Not how it works!

I prefer to call us "carschoolers" rather than homeschoolers because we're so rarely home. Plenty of time in the real world, sadly! crazy

Kriston
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    And often homeschooled kids get social situations tailored to stretch them in just the ways they need at just the time they need them. It's one of the benefits of an individualized education. smile

To anyone who is not homeschooling, it might help if you understand that "socialization" is called "The S-Word" by homeschoolers because that's the first thing everyone who isn't homeschooling asks us. As if we sit at home alone all day, every day... Um, no! Not how it works!

I prefer to call us "carschoolers" rather than homeschoolers because we're so rarely home. Plenty of time in the real world, sadly! crazy

LOL, that sounds like us! We are at home for 3-4 hours in the mornings doing formal schooling, then the rest of every day we run around like crazy. Between baseball, karate, the G&T pull out class ds just started, homeschool coop classes and field trips, outside classes at the science museum, art lessons, etc, we are hardly ever at home.

The safety issue was not a major factor for us, but is a nice side benefit. We homeschool primarily because the schools in our area were not prepared to deal with a child working 2-3 grade levels ahead and when the local Montessori school closed we were left with very few options. Fortunately I was able to leave my full time job and only work part time so I could homeschool him.

B
    B
    We are homeschooling not because of a safety issue but the same reason why many on here are....they just had no clue how to best reach DS6 who was several grade levels ahead. Love the term "carschoolers" because that sure is us! I have a special planner just for DS that has all of his schedule written in - his months are packed and he loves it that way :-) ...between going to Science Museum classes, co-ops, special community projects, field trips..you name it, he does it :-)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM