Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    ss62 #241396 02/21/18 07:16 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The max index score on the WISC-V is 155, and the max FSIQ is 160. So no, there are no current tests with composite scores beyond 160. Those scores can only be obtained by using very outdated tests (e.g., SBLM), or by using extended norms on moderately outdated tests (SB5 or WISC-IV). 175 (+5 SD) is well above the ceiling of the reputable tests.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    ss62 #241404 02/22/18 02:00 PM
    S
    S
    I'm glad you got some answers from PG Retreat. With your scores, I would definitely apply. As our kiddos get older I find that their need to connect with intellectual peers grow more and more important. Since my DD's GAI score was very close to 160, our application process was pretty easy since I had just completed the DYS application. However, I do have acquaintances that have had to provide additional info or write really long narratives regarding their child before they were accepted.

Both of mine have been in multiple schools, and ultimately I ended up homeschooling. The GATE magnet was actually the worst of them all providing very little flexibility and more writing work as "rigor". I also started homeschooling my 2e DS who didn't appear to be exceptionally smart in school but has really truly blossomed after being exposed to material more appropriate for him. He will be attending the Davidson Academy next year.

Epsilon and AoPS has truly be life changing for my DD. She started in the young group which used to be called "Delta". Last year she moved onto their formal 1st year program, and despite being a huge step up in work and challenge, she loved in even more. She looks forward to the camp all year and it's a place where she can find her people. If your child is very interested in mathematics (not just good at it) and you are looking to enrich him with discrete mathematics, I highly recommend it.

PM me if you have any more questions!

ss62 #241414 02/23/18 11:19 AM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you slammie for all your inputs. I will apply for pgretreat. For cty, looks like he needs to take the SCAT test to be eligible. Did you try that too? Also, did you apply for the Mensa membership?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by slammie
    As our kiddos get older I find that their need to connect with intellectual peers grow more and more important.
    Agreed. smile

ss62 #241418 02/23/18 02:04 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ss62
    Mensa membership?
    1) Mensa membership begins around 130-132 IQ, 98th percentile... moderately gifted.
    2) Events are largely run by volunteers... can vary widely from year to year.
    3) Regional Gatherings, Annual Gathering, and Mensa Mind Games may be of interest.
    4) There is a membership fee, ranging from annual membership to lifetime membership based on age (higher cost for younger members whose anticipated remaining lifespan is longer... therefore the lifetime membership covers more years of annual dues). A one-year membership may not be long enough to get the flavor of the various offerings. A 3-year or 5-year membership may allow ample time to sample opportunities.

ss62 #241482 03/01/18 11:43 AM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks indigo. Will check on that.

ss62 #241484 03/01/18 03:57 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by ss62
    Thank you slammie for all your inputs. I will apply for pgretreat. For cty, looks like he needs to take the SCAT test to be eligible. Did you try that too? Also, did you apply for the Mensa membership?

We haven't applied to Mensa - mostly because DITD has been so beneficial for us and really life changing for the kids. I suppose I have also been put off by a few families who become members of Mensa for bragging rights, and I didn't want to pay annual dues either. What you get out of Mensa I think also depends on how active your local Mensa group is.

Both of mine have done talent search through CTY. The SCAT is a very brief test that you can have your DS take without a lot of pressure. CTY also has fantastic financial aid support and it allowed my DS to attend summer camps during years when we had financial hardships due to unemployment.

ss62 #241488 03/01/18 06:05 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks slammie, I wish my DS could get into DYS as well.☹☹ He does have qualifying scores.

ss62 #241489 03/02/18 12:14 AM
    S
    S
    I'm so sorry you cannot apply for DS due to the residency issue! I wish you the very best with the PG Retreat application - I hope you get good news.

ss62 #241493 03/02/18 03:52 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks slammie. I just submitted the application for PG Retreat yesterday with lots of supporting documents. Excited about it. I will check on the Epsilon camp. It may be a little late, but will apply nevertheless. I would soon get him started on Beast Academy books. looks like they do not have an online school yet. I think AoPS is for higher grades. Your valuable suggestions have been very supportive. Looks like I am getting some direction in this field, after all. This forum is THE BEST.

Last edited by ss62; 03/02/18 03:54 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM