Coding 15
Vocabulary 19
Figure weights 18
Picture Span 19
Visual puzzles 17
Symbol search 11

FSIQ 153 (>99.9th)
GAI 151 (>99.9th)

The psychologist mentioned that he was extremely focussed, sincere and did really well. He mentioned that his vocabulary is huge and that he answered in great detail. Two of his composite scores are above 145 and 3 of those are >150. However his processing speed composite is 116. The psychologist says this is commonly observed in HG kids as they tend to overthink and that can slow them down. He will send me a detailed report in a couple of days.
Please provide your insights on the processing speed as well as the rest of the scores. Thanks.
Posted By: slammie Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/20/18 07:21 AM
Those are amazing scores! It appears he is not only exceptionally strong mathematically, but verbally as well. And he has an amazing working memory score with both sections ceiling out at 19. You should look into Epsilon Camp for him. It will be my DD's 3rd year and she looks forward to it all year.

I'm curious as to why the GAI is lower - I'm sure Aeh will chime in!

You should apply to PG Retreat; I don't think they have the same residency requirements as DYS.

https://pgretreat.org/
http://epsiloncamp.org/
Posted By: aeh Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/20/18 04:46 PM
Excellent scores! He really presents with no significant weaknesses, outside of the PSI already discussed by his evaluator. In answer to slammie's question, his GAI is a tiny bit lower than his FSIQ because his working memory is among his highest index scores, so when you remove the two cognitive proficiency scores from the FSIQ to form the GAI, even though one of his lowest scores (Coding) is dropped, one of his highest scores (Digit Span) is too, which offsets any GAI gain that might otherwise be expected. In any case, two points is well within the standard error, and would not be considered a substantive difference between GAI and FSIQ.

Some day, when the extended norms come out (they're only about three years behind schedule, at this point!), it would be worth recalculating his VCI with them. It is possible that, at that point, a more significant difference between VCI and VSI might emerge--but that might not be meaningful anyway, as both VSI subtests are timed. Bottom line: you have one smart cookie!
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/21/18 02:30 AM
Thanks aeh and slammie. We are very glad about the great scores. The psychologist suggests that he would be benefitted highly in a private school setting. Pls provide your insights on that. Also, does the huge difference between the processing speed scores and the rest of the scores mean anything?

Slammie, I am planning to apply for pgretreat. But their website says a minimum score of 160 is required.
Can I pm you for more details on epsilon camp and pgretreat?
Posted By: Kai Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/21/18 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by ss62
The psychologist suggests that he would be benefitted highly in a private school setting.

You need to be absolutely sure that the private school caters to PG students. Unfortunately, there are very few truly PG kids out there, and private schools are, above all else, businesses, so they need customers. If you are in a high density area with a substantial intellectual subculture, there may be enough kids for a PG school to work. Otherwise, be very wary of any school that says it can accommodate your child.

Posted By: marigold82076 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/21/18 04:29 PM
Agree with Kai - Be wary. Our most reputable local private schools are more rigid than the public schools when it comes to acceleration and differentiation. Their answer was "our kids are already working 1 grade level above public school". How does that help a kid who is more than 2 grade levels ahead?
Posted By: puffin Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/21/18 07:30 PM
For the score above 160 check the test they are referencing and then ask questions. As AEH said there are no extended norms yet so I don't think a score of 160 is possible. In fact most of the moderntests top out before 160.
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/22/18 12:20 AM
The GT schools in my area are looking for 130+ students. Some of them look for 145+ students. I have no idea how good they are.
Marigold, you are so right. I am confused.
Puffin, they have not mentioned any test names, I guess, in pgretreat. I remember it is probably something like a minimum of 160 in widely accepted tests. I should e-mail them and ask.
I also see he is now probably eligible for Mensa membership. Will that be useful?
Posted By: knute974 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/22/18 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by puffin
For the score above 160 check the test they are referencing and then ask questions. As AEH said there are no extended norms yet so I don't think a score of 160 is possible. In fact most of the modern tests top out before 160.

I also looked at the PG retreat link. Are there any currently used evaluations that go up to the "five standard deviations above the norm" range that PG retreat desires? FWIW my DD had a GAI of 151 on the WISC-V, FSIQ could not be calculated. She had 19s on matrix reasoning and figure weights and her fluid reasoning score was only 155. I know that she got every question right on figure weights because the evaluator commented that she hadn't had a a kid do that on the WISC V. The evaluator said that she maxed out another sub-test but I can't recall whether it was MR or VP. Either way, no 160s for my kid, let alone a 175.
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/22/18 02:08 AM
I emailed pgretreat regarding the qualifying criteria and this is the response I received.
Thank you for contacting us. There is no specific set of criteria that applies to everyone. Basically if you think your child call if I send you have evidence to show that your child qualifies feel free to go ahead and apply. Our application team will take a look at the full body of evidence that you per deuce and will assess based on that information
Posted By: aeh Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/22/18 02:16 AM
The max index score on the WISC-V is 155, and the max FSIQ is 160. So no, there are no current tests with composite scores beyond 160. Those scores can only be obtained by using very outdated tests (e.g., SBLM), or by using extended norms on moderately outdated tests (SB5 or WISC-IV). 175 (+5 SD) is well above the ceiling of the reputable tests.
Posted By: slammie Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/22/18 09:00 PM
I'm glad you got some answers from PG Retreat. With your scores, I would definitely apply. As our kiddos get older I find that their need to connect with intellectual peers grow more and more important. Since my DD's GAI score was very close to 160, our application process was pretty easy since I had just completed the DYS application. However, I do have acquaintances that have had to provide additional info or write really long narratives regarding their child before they were accepted.

Both of mine have been in multiple schools, and ultimately I ended up homeschooling. The GATE magnet was actually the worst of them all providing very little flexibility and more writing work as "rigor". I also started homeschooling my 2e DS who didn't appear to be exceptionally smart in school but has really truly blossomed after being exposed to material more appropriate for him. He will be attending the Davidson Academy next year.

Epsilon and AoPS has truly be life changing for my DD. She started in the young group which used to be called "Delta". Last year she moved onto their formal 1st year program, and despite being a huge step up in work and challenge, she loved in even more. She looks forward to the camp all year and it's a place where she can find her people. If your child is very interested in mathematics (not just good at it) and you are looking to enrich him with discrete mathematics, I highly recommend it.

PM me if you have any more questions!
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/23/18 06:19 PM
Thank you slammie for all your inputs. I will apply for pgretreat. For cty, looks like he needs to take the SCAT test to be eligible. Did you try that too? Also, did you apply for the Mensa membership?
Posted By: indigo Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/23/18 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by slammie
As our kiddos get older I find that their need to connect with intellectual peers grow more and more important.
Agreed. smile
Posted By: indigo Re: WISC-V scores help - 02/23/18 09:04 PM
Mensa membership?
1) Mensa membership begins around 130-132 IQ, 98th percentile... moderately gifted.
2) Events are largely run by volunteers... can vary widely from year to year.
3) Regional Gatherings, Annual Gathering, and Mensa Mind Games may be of interest.
4) There is a membership fee, ranging from annual membership to lifetime membership based on age (higher cost for younger members whose anticipated remaining lifespan is longer... therefore the lifetime membership covers more years of annual dues). A one-year membership may not be long enough to get the flavor of the various offerings. A 3-year or 5-year membership may allow ample time to sample opportunities.
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 03/01/18 06:43 PM
Thanks indigo. Will check on that.
Posted By: slammie Re: WISC-V scores help - 03/01/18 10:57 PM
Thank you slammie for all your inputs. I will apply for pgretreat. For cty, looks like he needs to take the SCAT test to be eligible. Did you try that too? Also, did you apply for the Mensa membership?

We haven't applied to Mensa - mostly because DITD has been so beneficial for us and really life changing for the kids. I suppose I have also been put off by a few families who become members of Mensa for bragging rights, and I didn't want to pay annual dues either. What you get out of Mensa I think also depends on how active your local Mensa group is.

Both of mine have done talent search through CTY. The SCAT is a very brief test that you can have your DS take without a lot of pressure. CTY also has fantastic financial aid support and it allowed my DS to attend summer camps during years when we had financial hardships due to unemployment.
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 03/02/18 01:05 AM
Thanks slammie, I wish my DS could get into DYS as well.☹☹ He does have qualifying scores.
Posted By: slammie Re: WISC-V scores help - 03/02/18 07:14 AM
I'm so sorry you cannot apply for DS due to the residency issue! I wish you the very best with the PG Retreat application - I hope you get good news.
Posted By: ss62 Re: WISC-V scores help - 03/02/18 10:52 PM
Thanks slammie. I just submitted the application for PG Retreat yesterday with lots of supporting documents. Excited about it. I will check on the Epsilon camp. It may be a little late, but will apply nevertheless. I would soon get him started on Beast Academy books. looks like they do not have an online school yet. I think AoPS is for higher grades. Your valuable suggestions have been very supportive. Looks like I am getting some direction in this field, after all. This forum is THE BEST.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum