Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #241365 02/19/18 06:50 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    My DS8's WISC V scores are as follows.
    Raw scores
    Block design 17
    Similarities 19
    Matrix reasoning 18
    Digit span 19
    Coding 15
    Vocabulary 19
    Figure weights 18
    Picture Span 19
    Visual puzzles 17
    Symbol search 11

FSIQ 153 (>99.9th)
    GAI 151 (>99.9th)

The psychologist mentioned that he was extremely focussed, sincere and did really well. He mentioned that his vocabulary is huge and that he answered in great detail. Two of his composite scores are above 145 and 3 of those are >150. However his processing speed composite is 116. The psychologist says this is commonly observed in HG kids as they tend to overthink and that can slow them down. He will send me a detailed report in a couple of days.
    Please provide your insights on the processing speed as well as the rest of the scores. Thanks.

Last edited by ss62; 02/19/18 06:51 PM.
    ss62 #241366 02/20/18 12:21 AM
    S
    S
    Those are amazing scores! It appears he is not only exceptionally strong mathematically, but verbally as well. And he has an amazing working memory score with both sections ceiling out at 19. You should look into Epsilon Camp for him. It will be my DD's 3rd year and she looks forward to it all year.

I'm curious as to why the GAI is lower - I'm sure Aeh will chime in!

You should apply to PG Retreat; I don't think they have the same residency requirements as DYS.

https://pgretreat.org/
    http://epsiloncamp.org/

ss62 #241368 02/20/18 09:46 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Excellent scores! He really presents with no significant weaknesses, outside of the PSI already discussed by his evaluator. In answer to slammie's question, his GAI is a tiny bit lower than his FSIQ because his working memory is among his highest index scores, so when you remove the two cognitive proficiency scores from the FSIQ to form the GAI, even though one of his lowest scores (Coding) is dropped, one of his highest scores (Digit Span) is too, which offsets any GAI gain that might otherwise be expected. In any case, two points is well within the standard error, and would not be considered a substantive difference between GAI and FSIQ.

Some day, when the extended norms come out (they're only about three years behind schedule, at this point!), it would be worth recalculating his VCI with them. It is possible that, at that point, a more significant difference between VCI and VSI might emerge--but that might not be meaningful anyway, as both VSI subtests are timed. Bottom line: you have one smart cookie!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    ss62 #241373 02/20/18 07:30 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks aeh and slammie. We are very glad about the great scores. The psychologist suggests that he would be benefitted highly in a private school setting. Pls provide your insights on that. Also, does the huge difference between the processing speed scores and the rest of the scores mean anything?

Slammie, I am planning to apply for pgretreat. But their website says a minimum score of 160 is required.
    Can I pm you for more details on epsilon camp and pgretreat?

ss62 #241374 02/20/18 07:36 PM
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by ss62
    The psychologist suggests that he would be benefitted highly in a private school setting.

You need to be absolutely sure that the private school caters to PG students. Unfortunately, there are very few truly PG kids out there, and private schools are, above all else, businesses, so they need customers. If you are in a high density area with a substantial intellectual subculture, there may be enough kids for a PG school to work. Otherwise, be very wary of any school that says it can accommodate your child.

ss62 #241384 02/21/18 09:29 AM
    M
    M
    Agree with Kai - Be wary. Our most reputable local private schools are more rigid than the public schools when it comes to acceleration and differentiation. Their answer was "our kids are already working 1 grade level above public school". How does that help a kid who is more than 2 grade levels ahead?

ss62 #241390 02/21/18 12:30 PM
    P
    P
    For the score above 160 check the test they are referencing and then ask questions. As AEH said there are no extended norms yet so I don't think a score of 160 is possible. In fact most of the moderntests top out before 160.

ss62 #241392 02/21/18 05:20 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    The GT schools in my area are looking for 130+ students. Some of them look for 145+ students. I have no idea how good they are.
    Marigold, you are so right. I am confused.
    Puffin, they have not mentioned any test names, I guess, in pgretreat. I remember it is probably something like a minimum of 160 in widely accepted tests. I should e-mail them and ask.
    I also see he is now probably eligible for Mensa membership. Will that be useful?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by puffin
    For the score above 160 check the test they are referencing and then ask questions. As AEH said there are no extended norms yet so I don't think a score of 160 is possible. In fact most of the modern tests top out before 160.

I also looked at the PG retreat link. Are there any currently used evaluations that go up to the "five standard deviations above the norm" range that PG retreat desires? FWIW my DD had a GAI of 151 on the WISC-V, FSIQ could not be calculated. She had 19s on matrix reasoning and figure weights and her fluid reasoning score was only 155. I know that she got every question right on figure weights because the evaluator commented that she hadn't had a a kid do that on the WISC V. The evaluator said that she maxed out another sub-test but I can't recall whether it was MR or VP. Either way, no 160s for my kid, let alone a 175.

ss62 #241395 02/21/18 07:08 PM
    S
    ss62 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I emailed pgretreat regarding the qualifying criteria and this is the response I received.
    Thank you for contacting us. There is no specific set of criteria that applies to everyone. Basically if you think your child call if I send you have evidence to show that your child qualifies feel free to go ahead and apply. Our application team will take a look at the full body of evidence that you per deuce and will assess based on that information

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM