Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF Offline
    I still have some vivid memories from preschool (where I was sitting, what song we were singing, practicing sewing (it was a Montessori) as well as a memory of being on one of those push toys that toddlers love. I remember how the grass looked from my height. I don't remember a lot of other things, but the memories that I have are quite vivid (I remember patterns, the name of the song "Kookaburra" and what things looked like from my perspective (I was quite a bit shorter then) and where I was sitting. I also remember being at my elementary school in 2nd or 3rd grade and taking a mental photograph - I thought to myself someday I will be able to remember this actual moment like a photograph. I can still remember everything from that moment.

A
    A
    My earliest memory is from when I was on a trip with my parents at 19 months. The memory is primarily emotional, because I was furious at not being allowed to do something I felt I should do. I can remember self-advocating vehemently, and then subversively slipping away and trying to get what I wanted. It almost worked!

I have another memory from a few months later, just before I turned 2. My mother and I were going clothing shopping, and I sneaked into the middle of a round clothing rack as my mother browsed next to me. On the floor was the round backing of an anti-theft dye tag, which I thought was a Smartie. I still remember the acrid taste of the tag, and the relief I felt at spitting it out. (I can actually imagine tasting it as I write this.)

I have a hunch that our strongest early memories are tied to survivalist lessons and--by corollary--parental love. In the first case, I learned the importance of not drowning. In the second, not eating strange items I found on the ground. Important lessons. wink

Other less distinct memories from the same period are:
    - The smell of my mother's bath robe and the sound of crackling logs as we cuddled by the fire and read books before bed.
    - The feeling of the original tush tag on my favourite teddy bear, which I received my first Christmas. My mother had to replace the tush tag every few weeks with a new ribbon because I would rub it off. Sensory seeking runs deep in our family tree.
    - The pleasant, tingling sensation I felt run down my back the first time I hear a rain stick, when I was 3.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Interesting topic (and I know I haven't posted in a while, but I lurk).

My first memory is from about 14 mos old when we lived in England. I remember the path we used to go down and I remember being fascinated by a pair of twins who had a double-wide pram. My mom confirmed this when I was a teen, but all the other things she mentioned (the frog with babies, the pig farm, berry picking) I didn't have a clue about.

DD related her first birthday to me in vivid detail when she was about 7. I asked her when she learned to read and she said it must have been just after her first birthday and started describing it. There weren't any pictures she'd seen (they were packed away -- we're terrible about photographs). She described some of the adults who were there, gifts she'd received, and the cake we made her.

However two years later when I asked her about remembering her first birthday, she drew a complete blank. So now I have no corroboration for my crazy mom story!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM