Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    DD10 says she wishes that her teacher would understand that being gifted is really about seeing the world in a different way, not being smarter than everyone else.

what they most wish their teacher would understand about them and/or what they like/dislike about being gifted.

Okay, DD14 says (pardon the poor or jumbled transcription-- I type about 50% as fast as she TALKS):

what I do like... I like the fact that being gifted is associated with lots of free time. While school is a priority, sure-- if you feel like putting in the time with a particular teacher/project, you'll get an A+, great, but most peoples' 80% effort is like a C or B, but if you're gifted, it's still an A, usually. More time to do what I want.

With the exception of some creative things, it means being able to just LOOK at stuff and be able to DO that. (She reflects that maybe this isn't as true as it used to be. Maybe it's a high LOG thing.)

At very high LOG, you can do pretty much anything. You can look at something, even in an area of marginal interest/ability (for you) and go 'Yeah. I got this.' So ALL of those doors are effectively open to you. Which is cool. But also a problem-- because-- choices.

It's nice to be able to CHOOSE anything whatsoever, though.

What I don't like-- about 70% of what comes out of my mouth, unfiltered, even with people who know how smart I am, go "WHAT?? You are SUCH a freak."

You become romantically (or just platonically) interested in others because they are wonderful people, but they can't keep up with you, no matter how hard they try-- and it never works, because you make them feel bad about themselves, which is AWFUL. You're always faced with the choice of "Do I dumb myself down continuously? DO I attach Harrison Bergeron style mental weights to myself so that I can hang out with these people, or do I be myself with no friends at all?"

People dump me because I make them feel bad. SOmetimes, it's people that would be able to be friends, if they hadn't seen you in class. They know. And you're ALWAYS 'that kid' in class. Always.

Some teachers hate you. Because you're "that kid." Some of that depends on your personality, of course. Sitting in teh corner quietly, teacher's don't usually hate... but you get bored. If you're an authority-pleaser, you chit-chat with the teacher and get to know them personally (because what else are you going to do when you only need about 20% of the class time to haul in an A??), and they start treating you more like a friend than a student. That might not be the most professional thing, but-- they don't really have much to do for you/with you as a STUDENT... you're done with what they can teach you, and you're both just stuck with it. But the other kids notice. Brown-nosing, butt-kisser... except you're not, because you're just bored.

The OTHER choice if you're bored is that you can be disruptive. THe class clown, the cool kid. Verbally showing up the teacher is stuff that classmates LOVE... but... um... the teacher will HATE you. Some teachers will truly hate you.

It's a catch-22. If you're gifted, you have three choices-- learn to depend solely on yourself and be solitary, you can rely on the teacher (adults) for interpersonal contact but it doesn't make you friends for a birthday party or anything, or you can be the kid that EVERYONE else loves but that adults hate.

So there's no great way to navigate school (unless you're in a class of them) and survive socially if you are at a high LOG.

What do I wish that teachers knew?

While I may be CAPABLE of learning the material with your instruction in 25% of the time as everyone else, you still can't just HAND me the textbook and say "learn that."

That just doesn't work for me. Sorry.

I wish that I knew that they knew that at 11, I was 20 in terms of thinking about some things, but that at the same time, I could literally LOSE things that I was hanging onto because my executive functions are those of an 8yo at the same time.

I wish that they understood that this doesn't mean that I'm ADHD or in need of *medicating*.

I wish that they knew that they can't just WHIP the other kids to do what I do. frown It just makes them-- and ME-- miserable when teachers do that. I hate being held up as a paragon like that.

I wish that elementary teachers knew that if they are lousy mentors when I'm with them as a little kid, they are ROBBING my secondary teachers of the respect that I probably would otherwise have had. If I learn not to respect my teachers, I transfer that lesson to other teachers.

If I'm sitting on my own reading a book, that's not an indicator that I need HELP for being socially inept. Nor is it an indicator (necessarily) that I am CHOOSING to be alone and prefer that. I wish that they knew that it means that I like to read. It might mean that I'm not getting what I need, or that I have no other good options.

I wish that teachers would listen to the parents of gifted kids-- my mom and dad usually knew what would help both me and the teacher, but too few teachers wanted to listen.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DD12: I wish my teachers wouldn't single me out by having me help other students or grade other people's work. I had teachers doing that when I was in second grade and I still have that happen. Also, I wish people would understand that I am not always going to get everything completely right.

DS10: The other kids always think I always get every single problem right, but sometimes I get one or two wrong.

She thought she could, so she did.
    I wish my kids' teachers knew how very little work my kids put into their classes and how much my kids know about their subjects before they even step into their classes. And it is not because I taught my kids those things, but because they somehow just know.

Also, I wish my kids' teachers knew that my kids will learn pretty much anything that is put in front of them, whether they have "holes" in their background knowledge or not. In fact, my kids wish they had more holes to fill in.

When I was a gifted kid I desperately wished to be allowed to do classes and activities with my friends, who were usually a couple of years older than me. I was often in tears with frustration because everything was grouped by age rather than ability, and I was every bit as mature (if not more so) than my friends.

She thought she could, so she did.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    DD10 says she wishes that her teacher would understand that being gifted is really about seeing the world in a different way, not being smarter than everyone else.

That's a great quote! So very true!

OP Offline
    DD has finished her Silver Award Project, and has created a website to get the word out. Below is the link, please check it out and share as you see fit.

Thanks again for your help in getting her started with this.

Gifted Education Awareness

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Nice job, to your DD!

I do have to say that I found it charmingly GT of her to design a speech and slide presentation that assumed that the audience would be able to simultaneously listen to her and read slides with complementary but unique information on them.😎

But seriously, it's an excellent presentation.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Excellent presentation - very articulately and confidently delivered!

Become what you are
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    I do have to say that I found it charmingly GT of her to design a speech and slide presentation that assumed that the audience would be able to simultaneously listen to her and read slides with complementary but unique information on them.

I agree - it's a great presentation! (Although I was tempted to slow down the video by 10% or so to be able to follow it better - she moves at quite a clip!) This is really well-done, and should be a credit to her. I hope that she is successful in presenting it to the people who really need to see it.

OP Offline
    She was afraid if she talked more slowly people would just play it at 1.5 speed, so she talked faster wink

Unfortunately, none of the schools around here allowed her to come and do presentations to the teachers, but she is sending them the link to her webpage in hopes some will get to see it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM