Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    OP Offline
    Hi! I'm Kerry's DD11, a profoundly gifted girl, and I am currently working on my Silver Award for Girl Scouts. My project is to inform teachers about the needs of gifted children and how to provide for them. I am looking for some quotes for a speech I am putting together and I wondered if you could ask your children what they most wish their teacher would understand about them and/or what they like/dislike about being gifted. For example: I wish my teachers wouldn't single me out for everything.
    In your reply could you please tell me how old your child is and whether they are boys or girls?

I would greatly appreciate the help!

E
    E
    Kerry's DD,

My daughter is 10. She's in bed right now, but I will ask her your question tomorrow. In the mean time, I just wanted to tell you that I really like your choice for a Silver Award project, and I hope that it helps make the world a better place for kids like you and like my daughter.

Thank you!

-Elizabeth

I really like your project as well.

Let me ask my daughter, who is almost 15.

If you like, I can also answer for myself-- though this reflects what I remember about being an exceptionally gifted female student. I have very clear recollections about some things that I still recall from when I was 12 to 16 years of age, and some pivotal moments (mostly conflicts with teachers) from when I was younger.

* What I wish teachers had known about me is that I was, aside from my brain's abilities, just like any other student. I had the same insecurities, the same worries, and the same problems-- and the same desire (but not the ability) to fit in with my peers. So telling the entire class just HOW impressive my score was on the class "fun" IQ test? That may have been the single most mortifying thing in middle school, and in related news, I'd love to point out how this turned me into a lodestone for the three distinct sets of bullying girls that then targeted me and made my every minute at school a living nightmare.

I also really didn't like being expected to be "smarter than that" with respect to social, typical adolescent problems. Shaming me with my IQ was not a favorite part of my school experiences. I also wanted-- sometimes desperately-- to be able to occasionally have a BAD DAY once in a while.

The thing that I'd have wished for from a wish-granting magical object was to be invisible. This may also be related to the fact that I had already figured out that most attention just brought a lot of trouble. It also tended to come with unrealistic expectations of perfection from others, I noticed.

I enjoyed teachers that seemed to have a genuine passion for their subject, were themselves highly insightful about that subject, and were flexible and clearly eager to extend their OWN understanding. Beyond that, I wasn't too picky about pedagogical style. I only realized in my late 30's that this type of teacher (more or less benignly neglectful, VERY rigorous with the subject, and into their OWN relationship with the subject-- students free to tag along, but the journey was independent of them)-- is not one that most students, and maybe not even most gifted students, find works for them at all. I see some of the same things in my own daughter and in my highly gifted spouse, though, and remember it in my profoundly gifted father's approach to learning, so I suspect quite strongly that it is associated with higher levels of giftedness.

What do I like about being a gifted person? I like being able to learn whatever I want-- fast. Love that. I like how the air kind of crackles when you get more than a few of us together in a room. I like feeling amazing when I'm doing something that I love and doing it with all of my ability-- it's an amazing feeling.

Music, writing and geometry were the only school experiences that really gave me that. I loved everything about ensemble performance and obsessively practicing/playing an instrument. I love listening to all kinds of music even now, and my daughter and her friends find it disconcerting that I can talk to them about music that THEY like, too. Being able to FEEL music that way is a lovely gift, and one that I do not take for granted. I need music the way that I need sunlight or fresh air.

I hated winning awards. It just highlighted what kind of freak I was (in my mind). I won a lot of awards for my writing, and could have gone on to do well (better than regional, probably) for the spelling bee, too-- but I deliberately threw competitions so that I wouldn't have to advance. My teachers couldn't understand it.

I never wanted to write too well, because it meant having it used as an "example" and sometimes, it meant the teacher accusing me of plagiarism. Not very likely when they had watched me write a poem or essay in class, but whatever.

I would like to think that teachers handle adolescents more sensitively in general now-- and would not shame teens as was done to me. On the other hand, some of that sense of shame/guilt was a very real sense of wanting to fit in and desperately, epically failing. It was as though I was filled with electricity or light, and it kept leaking through.

It was mortifying to do something without thinking it through, and for adults (and my peers, sometimes) to GAPE at me like fish. I always hoped that cognitive dissonance would make them question it later-- and sometimes it seems to have worked that way.

What I would want teachers to know about being HG+ is this, actually:

it takes SO MUCH ENERGY to hide what you are all of the time. Nobody without that experience can really understand how much energy this takes, I think, and how empty and exhausted you feel at the end of each day. Underachievement can come from perfectionism or a desire to fit in-- but I know from experience that it can also come as a side-effect of the kind of existential fatigue that saps so much mental energy that even a PG person doesn't have enough remaining capacity left to perform even acceptably well, never mind at "expected" levels.

That's MY answer. I'm now in my late forties, but my memories of school are quite keen.

I'll edit in my daughter's answers in the morning. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    Don't get pissy or offended when a profoundly gifted kid sleeps through your class and you wake him/her up to take a pop quiz at the end of class to "show him or her a lesson" and the pg student is the only one to get a hundred on the pop quiz. Why do you think s/he nodded off in the first place?

This is my DD 11's response

"What I like about being gifted is it makes me feel special and smart. I hate being the youngest, and I’m really glad I’m not the only one any more. I don’t feel as picked on now that I’m not alone. In my classes now, people don’t try to make me feel bad about getting good grades. I don’t like being taught the same things over and over. I never get to learn anything new except in math sometimes. I like to be challenged and want to be challenged more. Classes are a lot less boring then. I really like to learn new things, but I wish my teachers would understand that sometimes it takes a while for me to understand something and sometimes I need help."

Here’s some background to help understand her comments. My dd was the youngest in her grade in K-4 elementary school. She in now in the elementary school for 5th and 6th grades which combines the three K-4 schools in the district. She tested into algebra as a fifth grader last year, but she didn’t want to go into algebra because she would be the only one. As a result, she just skipped grade 6 math and went into 7th grade advanced math this year because two other students were also being subject accelerated. Like her, they were also both early entrants into first grade at a different K-4 school. They were going into the 7th grade class, so she wouldn’t be the only young one in the class. In her other subjects, she is in a gifted cluster, so this is the first year she is not in a “mixed ability” classroom, and she is much happier though still frustrated by the level of repetition.

OP Offline
    Thank you so much for your answers. I will definitely use your thoughts in my project.
    If you think of any more, let me know as I will be working on my silver award for a while.

Wow-- thanks for bumping this up. I keep meaning to have my DD answer your questions. I ask her if she can do this tomorrow. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    DD9 says: I wish my teachers knew that just because we're gifted doesn't mean we're perfect with grades.

D
    D
    Hi!
    I have a troop of 9 profoundly gifted Juniors. They are all in a gifted program at a stand alone school. I would be happy to have them answer your questions but as they are in an environment where their emotional, social, and educational needs are being met quite nicely, you might have different types of questions for them. Let me know if you do!
    daytripper75@gmail.com

I
    I
    I dropped my D2 (freshman in college) an email to ask her, will let you know if she replies.

My personal experience is that finding a way for a gifted kid to "go faster" so they don't have to wait for everyone else or practice the same concepts they understand again and again would have been the number 1 thing I would have told my teachers. And the best part about being gifted is impressing people when I can understand something really complicated and analyze/sort out the problem that no one else could. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM