Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #186278 03/28/14 03:33 PM
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DD8, 3rd grade, took the Explore test for the first time in February. One reason I had her take it was that after her testing for her school's G&T program, I wanted to try a test with a higher ceiling. Also, her Wechsler abbreviated IQ test score was above the DYS minimum. I also wondered whether these scores might help her get into DYS.

Her results were as follows:

English: __
    Mathematics: __
    Reading: __
    Science: __
    Composite: 18

We are completely new to the Explore test, and no "interpreting" information was included. I think that comes later from our talent search?

These appear to meet the minimum for 3rd grade. The funny thing is, I've always thought READING was her strongest subject!

I am wondering where to go from here. Do these scores merit showing them to her school? She is in her school's somewhat limited in focus, but decent, G&T program, but she will face retesting in a couple of years (as will all of the students) to keep a spot. I'd love to have something to back me up that she needs the program in the future. Also, I am constantly worried that she is not challenged in her other classes.

If I try to continue to prepare an application for DYS, is it better to try to get a complete IQ test done (she took the abbreviated earlier this year, so figuring out how to best get a full WISC is a tad tricky), or should I opt for a portfolio? DD does not love to write, but maybe she could read or talk about science for a video? If a portfolio is a better option, does anyone have any good suggestions for a portfolio?

Thanks for any insight or suggestions in advance!

Loy58 #186285 03/28/14 05:19 PM
    P
    P
    Your Explore Score Report should include norm data which compares how your child scored to the 8th graders who took the test in the Fall of 2013.

I was surprised with my DS's Reading score this year too - he scored 2 points lower than last year compared to his English score which went up 5 points.

If you can afford to IQ test, that might be the quickest and easiest. I don't know the rules on the timing of the brief vs. full test, but maybe you could have her tested with one of the other tests. I also think her scores are very strong so you may have luck with the portfolio. Here's a link to a thread with info about portfolio. Good luck!

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....6805/Achievement_Test_and_Portfolio.html

Loy58 #186301 03/29/14 04:43 AM
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you, Percy. It sounds like your DS had some nice growth in English! Congratulations! Perhaps the reading is tricky for many of the out-of-level kids? It sounds like from posts on this forum that quite a few parents have been surprised at their DC's reading score.

Thank you also to everyone here who helped me decide to have DD take this test. I had been concerned about having her take it, because she is a younger 3rd grader.

I also had rather low expectations after she told me she didn't finish the math or science, and did not even guess on the unfinished answers. She must have managed to get some of the questions she answered correct.

The talent search data would probably help me better put this in perspective. That will be interesting to see.

I do prefer the idea of using scores to a portfolio (feels less subjective, as I am not sure "I" have any clue what DYS would find impressive enough in my DC's portfolio), although DD's recent testing for her school's G&T program is making this quite tricky. I would need to see if I can find someone who understands how to work with her prior tests or will administer a completely different one. The WISC seems to be a "go to" test around here.

Loy58 #186304 03/29/14 05:33 AM
    K
    K
    If you can afford it, you may want to look into finding a tester to administer the SB5 which apparently has a higher ceiling.

Those scores are very high!

Last edited by KADmom; 03/29/14 05:34 AM.
    Loy58 #186305 03/29/14 05:52 AM
    Z
    Z
    SB5 also has some signficantly mixed results for kids tested HG on older tests and demonstrably HG.

Loy58 #186311 03/29/14 07:20 AM
    S
    S
    This is just my opinion, but I think your dd's scores are so far above the minimum, that you could use the partial WISC you have, plus some kind of portfolio on her best subject and submit it. I don't think DYS tries to exclude-- I think they try to include.

Loy58 #186312 03/29/14 07:21 AM
    S
    S
    This is just my opinion, but I think your dd's scores are so far above the minimum, that you could use the partial WISC you have, plus some kind of portfolio on her best subject and submit it. I don't think DYS tries to exclude-- I think they try to include.

K
    K
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by KADmom; 03/29/14 08:04 AM.
    Loy58 #186316 03/29/14 08:10 AM
    Z
    Z
    Yea, I read that too. I wouldn't say don't look at; I'm just saying be prepared for unexpected results. Here's a thread after I had been doing some research on it, because of DS' results:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/149050/SBV_working_memory_issue.html

Loy58 #186319 03/29/14 08:59 AM
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, Zen. Yes, I do not feel great about the SB5 because of what I have heard about it (similar to what you have pointed out here), but also because testers in my area seem to use it only rarely (which I am not very comfortable with).

I've honestly not heard of anyone around here taking any of the other tests listed - the WISC seems to be some sort of "gold standard" here. The WISC would definitely be most useful in the long run here (for whatever purposes going forward), because it seems well-recognized and respected.

Thanks, KADmom and syoblrig.

Thanks to everyone here for your feedback! Much appreciated!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM