Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    willagayle #1814 01/26/07 09:17 AM
    I've had four children all of whom were recognizing faces and smiling very early on - but when my 5 year old smiled at me at 3 weeks of age even *I* wasn't sure what to think! I thought that perhaps I had just forgotten the milestones since it had been 18 years since my last baby! When babies smile early people always say "oh, it was just gas!" I don't know about you, but gas doesn't make *me* smile, I'm not sure why it would make a baby smile.

I wonder why it is that people aren't comfortable saying "wow, your baby is doing things pretty early, maybe that means something" as opposed to "oh, I'm sure that was a fluke. Babies that young just don't do those things." It would be nice if more people would recognize what meeting milestones early might mean.

delbows #1816 01/26/07 09:39 AM
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by delbows
    she let me know what she wanted. I always described her as high maintainence rather than fussy.

Delbows, My firstborn (DD12) was "high maintenance" also. I've been very careful to never describe her (within her hearing) as "a difficult baby." I always say "she had a difficult time with being a baby." Which I think is true, because she just seemed so angry about being helpless and dependent.

Basically she screamed her way through the whole first year. She was hypersensitive to stimuli. She wouldn't react in the moment--if we went out, she seemed happily enthralled by the noise, lights, people, activities. But when we'd get home she'd scream for two hours straight. Getting to sleep was a big problem, too. It took me awhile, but I finally figured it out that the less I did with her (rocking, singing, etc.) at bedtime, the faster she'd settle down.

She didn't want to be held facing me, either. When she was old enough, she would literally put her arms straight out and push against me, while arching her back and her neck as far away as possible. I tried not to take it personally, LOL. She was nothing like the calm, cuddly babies my friends had.

There is so much more I'd love to say on this thread but I must get some work accomplished today!

GG

Galaxy Girl #1819 01/26/07 11:36 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Galaxy Girl
    There is so much more I'd love to say on this thread but I must get some work accomplished today!

I'm playing sick today with a yucky cold, which is why I have so much time to devote here.

I love reading all your stories and I understand if you skip over this post. (I have way too much time on my hands today!)

I wrote earlier about weird stuff regarding our gifted daughter in the hopes that some of our �lurkers� or parents of younger kids could be reassured that the oddities their children display or will display are not a reason to panic. Here are some examples from our highly gifted son�s early years:

What a talker! I don�t really know when he started talking. I have heard parents refer to their children�s vocabulary in term of how many words they knew at a certain age how many words they used in a sentence. That practice could not have worked with our son because I don�t even remember a progression. He spoke conversationally while he was still an infant. He started preschool (part-time) when he was 14 months and the staff was literally stunned. They told me his speech was better than any Kindergartner they had ever seen (the school went thru K). I just assumed it was because he had a lot of one on one time with me and I never �baby talked� to my kids.

I was constantly exhausted for the first five years of his life I felt like the perpetual losing contestant on a never ending quiz show! Now that he is 10, I am the captive audience to constant lectures that are way above my level of interest and knowledge. We are both happy when my husband is available to participate. He finds the conversation engaging.

Not only could he say the alphabet and count to 20+ by 18 months, he could also IDENTIFY all the letters, numbers thru 20 and standard shapes and colors by that age. That is why I was so shocked when my daughter brought home her first report card from her second year of (public school) K where it listed all the objectives for the entire year which generally consisted of the above skills. There was no way that our son would have tolerated that level of remedial work at age six!

I hope this doesn�t come across a bragging. Considering the company I am in, I will assume that it doesn�t. I guess my point here is that sometimes even I (in my oblivion) sometimes considered my son�s early development as a bit �spooky�.

Here is something that is weird and spooky at any age: SLEEP ISSUES

INSOMNIA
    When our son was 41/2 years old we consulted his pediatrician regarding the fact that he could not fall asleep at night. This had become a serious problem for us and my husband and I were extremely exhausted and had no time to ourselves. Our pediatrician suggested that our son may need more intellectual stimulation. We removed him from the excellent preschool that he had simply out-grown and put him in an academically intensive self study academy. Within a week, he was falling asleep by 8:15pm.

NIGHT TERRORS
    DS10 went through a period of 11/2 years (approximately 7 to 81/2) were he would have night terrors 4 or 5 times per week. I researched the issue extensively on the internet, but nothing I found quite matched his behaviors. The pediatrician was proactive but inexperienced in this subject (apparently it is uncommon). He referred my son for brain wave graphing in a restful state (forgot the term) where nothing unusual was found. Essentially, he would sleep walk within 2 hours of falling asleep. He was looking for me (to crawl on my lap or get into my bed) and would appear awake but sleepy (at first). The telltale sign was that his teeth would by chattering and is body would be slightly rigid and convulsing. In half the instances, he would also being shrieking at some point. What made his case different from the information that I found, was that my touch calmed him rather than the opposite as described on medical pages. Also, he obeyed directives in this state. He was too big for me to carry safely (my husband was gone often), so I would direct him to walk back to his room and he complied. After further research, I began to direct him to use the bathroom (to urinate), after which he would easily be lead back to bed and fall asleep.

This probably bored most of you, but if it helped on family, I�m glad to have shared these experiences.

Diana

delbows #1826 01/26/07 01:28 PM
    G
    G
    Diana, none of that came across as bragging and it was not boring in the least, but rather, very interesting to me. Thank you for sharing all of it.

Oh, and I am so so glad you wrote about the sleep issues! I have been pondering how to deal with DD6's current sleep issues. I'll write more later... time to pick her up from school.

GG

Galaxy Girl #1830 01/26/07 02:39 PM
    W
    W
    in this group I don't think anything we say counts for a brag. one thing that I **love** about this group is that I can post my kids real stories and feel comfortable in the knowledge that no one will accuse me of bragging and not only that, many of the other posters here have kids who DO THAT TOO!!!

I can't even tell my boys' stories to their aunts and uncles and my dad because of the "bragging" perception they take.

So, please, share your stories. They make me feel less alone. Please let me share our stories, too. I know you understand!!

WillaFite, Wife to Bite, Momma to Rite(15) and Mite(9) and the two cats Spite and Respite8^()

Willa Gayle
    willagayle #1835 01/26/07 09:48 PM
    J
    J
    Hi Diana. You have every right to brag. I am so grateful for this site. My favorite past time is bragging about my son...I can't help it. He is completely amazing. People always look at me funny when I talk about him and most think I am just exaggerating. It's so wonderful to celebrate our children's accomplishments.
    Thank you for sharing your stories. I don't know what night terrors are really but my 2.8 yo son sometimes wake up in the middle of the night screaming about things that frustrate him like "no more milk in the bed" and " no more cookies". I will certainly look into this.
    There is something I am concerned and I would like to see what everyone's ideas are. My son goes to an early intervention class beacuse he was delayed in talking although as soon as he turned 2 he started talking away and at that time reading letters and numbers on the freeway signs and cigarette prices at the gas stations. Now he is reading, spelling doing addition, subtraction, multiplication. He knew his alphabet, numbers, colors and shapes at around 16 months. Some of his teachers are concerned about his "selective listening" and his being inconsistent in following directions. My husband and I feel that he listens and follows directions only when he is interested with the activity or if there is a promise of something he is interested in. Does anybody have the same issues with their gifted toddlers? He also likes to do certain things a few times but then gets bored and does not want to repeat the same activity that he seemingly enjoyed so much just the day before. He is also very fascinated with letters and numbers. Often, he would create letters and numbers out of pieces of paper, toys or just about any object. He would often correctly tell us the first letter of words he would hear, attempting to spell them out from how they sound. Does any body have any behavioral issues like this with their gifted children? Do you think this could be a cause for concern?

jon's mom #1838 01/27/07 12:31 PM
    Same story here with the night terrors, crying , all would go away after urinating... Could never wake him up from this state, ever...Again have to laugh at how similar our kids are.
    And this constant talk about the things he is finding out that are totally not my interest.. follows me around the house while I am doing things and keeps on talking, talking, talking...
    Don't you have this constant impression that they are perceiving the world differently, they are somehow "wired" differently?
    Off to pick him up. He is writing SAT today. Good Lord!
    Ania

Ania #1847 01/27/07 09:21 PM
    I think that pathologizing typical gifted behavior is a cause for concern. I think that "selective listening" in an almost 3 year old sounds pretty normal - gifted or not.

I think the best thing is to spend time in the classroom, and see what the children are like. Putting a hightly gifted kid in a group setting with NT children can set the kid up for negative behaviors. I've BTDT. I also don't like Adults hovering over my kid trying to figure out "what's wrong with him." I think a kid would pick up on that, don't you?

If your child is having fun in early intervention, then it's probably good for him. If he isn't, can you bring him home? Three is very young, and kids who aren't in sync with their agemates have a lot to handle.

Best wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #1848 01/27/07 10:37 PM
    J
    J
    Hi Trinity. He does enjoy going to his early intervention class. He likes being with other children although he LOVES being with older children or with adults. My husband and I are older and first time parents and we don't really know what's typical and what's not. Now though, we are seeing more and more signs of giftedness. He can now finish a 48-piece puzzle in 5 minutes. Only problem is that, he does the same puzzle 3 times and then he just gets bored with it. I think that some teachers do not have enough experience with gifted children and often misunderstand their behavior.
    Thanks,
    Jon's mom

jon's mom #1849 01/28/07 07:27 AM
    D
    D
    [quote=jon's momSome of his teachers are concerned about his "selective listening" and his being inconsistent in following directions. My husband and I feel that he listens and follows directions only when he is interested with the activity or if there is a promise of something he is interested in. Does anybody have the same issues with their gifted toddlers?[/quote]

I agree with Trinity that this is typical behavior for any 3 year old, especially boys. It was noticed in our gifted boy also! His preschool teachers told us that he wasn't interested in group activities. They would excuse him from particiapation often (he worked quietly with building toys or read).

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM