Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    The same thing happened to me. The week before school started I emailed DS's first grade teacher and said briefly that he is "unusual", we had a neuropsych eval done the previous spring, he has an IEP, he had a TBI, etc. I wanted to have a casual conversation with the new teacher about his recent history and come up with some sort of tentative plan on how to deal with him. Next thing I know I get an email from her stating that she invited the IEP manager to join us as well as the OT and principal. I had a 1-day notice. So what was intended to be a casual meeting for me to introduce myself and DS, turned into an IEP meeting, complete with the form for everyone to sign. Considering I had major concerns about his IEP and how they had handled things the previous year, that did not make me happy. The IEP manager was probably trying to make sure I had no opportunity to talk to the teacher privately (I think she found out and basically invited herself). So much for being able to talk freely to the teacher about my concerns!

For the latest IEP meeting where they were going to go through eval results, I specifically asked that they give me a report of results ahead of time. I got half of them but not the other half. So I had to listen to a play-by-play of the assessment from the adapted PE teacher of DS and his clumsiness (it was almost comical) while 10 people watched me take it all in.

I think it is within your right to ask what is going to be talked about at this conference and who will be there. If you feel uncomfortable with it, tell her that you would prefer to meet privately for the conference and you can schedule another meeting if other people have information to share.

Thanks, Blackcat, you really get it. So I feel less "crazy" now smile This could be nothing... but thank you for pointing out that it is within my right to ask what is going to be talked about at this conference and who will be there. I agree.

K
    K
    Honestly, some families get labeled as "problems" because they are the squeaky wheels. Obviously some people complain because they're never happy, but there are many who are just advocating for their kids. Unfortunately they often get lumped together in the same category.

Maybe past teachers have "warned" the new teacher about you so she/he doesn't feel comfortable talking to you without a witness. Hopefully he/she will see that you're a reasonable person who just wants what is best for your child, and the stigma will be dropped.

Please don't think I'm saying that you deserve this type of label, but if this is what has happened, I can understand the teacher feeling the need for someone else in the room. Like I said, hopefully he/she will see you and your family for what y'all are. Good luck!

Last edited by KathrynH; 11/24/13 07:04 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks so much Polarbear, KADmom, Sweetie and DeeDee!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by KathrynH
    Honestly, some families get labeled as "problems" because they are the squeaky wheels.

Oh I am very sure I have this label! LOL. I had to fight really hard last year to get and KEEP my son's accommodations and it was NOT PRETTY. AT. ALL. But, so far this year has been fine. DS seems happy, he reports he is getting his accommodations. He is in GT program. His grades appear to be good. He is in a differientiated math group. He is way above grade level in reading and math. He's so high in reading he doesn't even have a group - he's by himself. There was a problem with the spelling teacher (different than the regular teacher) making him write out 30 spelling words but I emailed teacher and principal and the issues was resolved quickly and he is permitted to type his spelling sorts and sort tests now.

Anyway, it could be just a meeting with everyone just because I am a pain and they are simply trying to please me... but I want some notice and some idea of what is in store - like, if there are "issues/concerns" I want to know ahead what they are; and, if there are not any, then I'd like to know that too.

Part of it is that these people just traumatized me last year - and I assure you I am not easily traumatized! But I guess when it's one's child, one is even more vulnerable....

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I also don't want to meet with all of these people by myself... Not that DH says much at all but still... it's better than not having anyone. I went to the last IEP by myself but I knew ahead of time pretty much everything that would be discussed so I felt quite prepared. I just hate the surprise ambush.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Irena
    But I guess when it's one's child, one is even more vulnerable....

Very true! I sincerely hope that this year's teacher will see you and your requests as rational and reasonable (which I'm sure they are).

B
    B
    My Dh is the same way. It's infuriating how he just sits there, and when he does say something, it's usually not helpful. But just having him there makes me feel like it's both of us together rather than just me against them.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, I finally just heard back from her (yes at almost 11pm). She said she doesn't anticipate it taking longer than 20 minutes and that it will be her, GT teacher, the spelling teacher, the differentiated math teacher, the art teacher, and the special-ed teacher. She doesn't say the principal will be there but I am sure he will be as he never likes me talking to the teachers without his being present.

I don't know about this. I am not sure why this is making me so uncomfortable. It just seems so odd... I have a knot in my stomach because I feel like I am going to be hit with something but I don't know what. And, yet, all of his test grades are good and he is feeling good about school.

I don't know what to do.

D
    D
    I'd say, go and listen.

If it's truly a blindside, know that they cannot change your child's placement without your permission, and if they are making requests of any kind in the meeting, you don't have to say yes to anything you don't want. You are part of the school team for your child.

But it may just be that your child is complex and they want to show you all the perspectives. Conferences ARE complex when your child is 2E. Better to know than not, even when it's hard on you.

P
    P
    with that many people it will take 20 minutes to get organised

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets