Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #174863 11/15/13 12:39 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I got an email stating they are writing DS up as Physically Impaired for an IEP. Yes! What a ridiculous thing to be happy about, but maybe now he can actually get help at school, esp. if we change schools next year. Hopefully if we change districts the new district will accept the results.

They want his pediatrician to verify that he does indeed have Developmental Coordination Disorder which is annoying to me. Why isn't the diagnosis on the neuropsych report enough?
    Now am I going to have to pay a $23 co-pay so pediatrician can look at him again and give her own diagnosis? Crazy! She's the one who referred him to the neuropsych!

IEP meeting on Tuesday--I still don't have any of the test results and have no idea what their "plan" is. Supposedly they got a POHI lady from the special ed district (physical and other health impairments) to help them with the evaluation. If anyone remembers, this school had no idea what the special ed categories even were a couple months ago. So we are making progress.

K
    K
    Great job advocating, Blackcat!

P
    P
    Do you think your ped's office would write a letter stating ds has DCD without you having to come in for another office visit? I'm fairly certain our ped's office would do that in this type of situation.

I know the wording of things such as "physically impaired" sounds surreal or odd at times - but those are just words to describe a situation in the language that the school needs to give accommodations/services etc. It sounds like you're making good progress - yay!

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I don't know--i will call and check. Our pediatrician probably has hundreds of patients and who knows if she even recalls who DS is! And it's not like he has performed jumping jacks for her. I've just told her he's delayed, he's a klutz, she gave me a referral, end of story.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations